Usenet

  • Jon Frost
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2001
      Let's start a poll! Who wants to move this group to Usenet? hehe,

      No, appears that the majority likes this format well enough to keep
      it. I could take it or leave it now that I'm on DSL. If you want
      search capability just sign up for the daily archive to be sent and
      then just save each one into its own directory which you can search
      later. Requires some personal administration but it has been a work-
      around for me.

      Andrew, great idea for a group. Thanks.

      Jon
    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2001
        In a message dated 14/01/01 01:44:12 GMT Standard Time, inhorbit@...
        writes:

        > Let's start a poll! Who wants to move this group to Usenet? hehe,

        Hi Jon, I assume you joined from the SVG-Developers group? ... Just for other
        members here who won't be familiar with the background, the SVG-Developers
        list on eGroups is debating the possibility of moving to Usenet - in part to
        provide a permanent public archive / learning resource on SVG.

        > No, appears that the majority likes this format well enough to keep
        > it. I could take it or leave it now that I'm on DSL. If you want
        > search capability just sign up for the daily archive to be sent and
        > then just save each one into its own directory which you can search
        > later. Requires some personal administration but it has been a work-
        > around for me.
        >
        > Andrew, great idea for a group. Thanks.
        >
        > Jon

        Jon, the great advantage of eGroups.com from my point of view is that it was
        literally a matter of minutes from finally deciding to set up an XSL-FO group
        to it being in existence. Contrast that with Usenet where there is a fairly
        complex and drawn out process, which can last a minimum of weeks. In
        addition, on Usenet, to begin that process to create a new group e.g. for
        XSL-FO you have to demonstrate an existing Usenet community who are _already_
        posting in volume on XSL-FO.

        I thought it was better to provide an XSL-FO focus now for the small (?) but
        growing XSL-FO community.

        BTW Jon, are you a "friend of Ed"? :)

        Andrew Watt