Text Flow algorithms - in the public domain?

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2001
      I am not sure if this question is appropriate for the list or not. But this seemed as good a place to ask it as any other I can think of. Presumably implementors of XSL-FO formatters must have addressed the question in the context of XSL-FO?

      My problem relates to the limitation of SVG not automatically reflowing text when a browser window is re-sized. I was thinking of creating an ECMAScript routine to reflow the text when the window was resized. Since browsers such as Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and Amaya do this routinely for HTML it seems likely that text reflow (if that is the right term) algorithms already exist.

      Does anyone know if any of them are in the public domain? If yes, where could I locate them? Or, if the answer, is No suggestions of a more appropriate place to ask the question would be appreciated. I have asked a similar question on the SVG list - however the problem arises in the SVG domain but it seems to me that the solution is probably already in existence in the "text flow in browsers" domain. Which might not be the core interest of this list but I wondered if anyone happened to know the answer.

      It isn't too difficult to sketch out some pseudocode to create text reflow, but particularly bearing in mind SVG-specific details which I won't bore the list with, it seemed sensible to find out if the text flow wheel had already been invented.

      Thanks in advance for any suggestions

      Andrew Watt