RE: [XSL-FO] DTD'S WITH XSL

  • Richard Tobin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2001
      I have a slightly similar question!!!
      When I use xsl on an xml with dtd tag link the xsl fails
      Does this happen to you also??

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2001
        not tried that yet, still trying to write an xsl document! i hope sum 1 who
        knows there stuff can help us

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2001
          At 01/10/11 13:54 +0100, Birney, Kenneth wrote:
          >ive been learnign aboutxml and have been producing simple pages linking to
          >external dtd's. i was looking at sum examples on the web with xml using xsl
          >to style it. These examplesdidnt use DTD's, so does xsl make dtds
          >unnessecarry?

          Perhaps you are confused in your terminology. I'm not sure what you mean
          by "simple pages linking to external DTDs". Do you mean XML documents with
          a document type declaration to an external declaration subset?

          A DTD (Document Type Definition) describes the grammar of the elements and
          attributes allowed for an instance of XML. This particular grammar can be
          used to supplement the information set of an XML document (the processed
          result of looking at XML syntax). The syntax of the grammar language
          itself is inherited from SGML and is different than XML instance syntax.

          A RELAX-NG grammar is in XML syntax and is used to constrain or validate
          the elements and attributes allowed in an instance of XML. RELAX-NG does
          not affect the information set of an XML document. Its development is
          based upon sound theoretical principles.

          A W3C XML Schema is in XML syntax and works only on the information set of
          an XML document, not on the raw syntax.

          For some people, RELAX-NG is far more promising than W3C XML Schema.

          XSLT works on the information set of an XML document as described by the
          data model of XPath and its tree of nodes. XSLT predates W3C XML
          Schema. So, from my description above, the DTD is very necessary if it has
          information supplementing the information set of an XML document (most
          typically, the names of ID-typed attributes and defaulted attributes).

          But such ATTLIST declarations are all that is necessary, as XPath ignores
          content model ELEMENT declarations in the DTD. You can have well-formed
          XML with declaration subsets of only ATTLIST declarations to "teach" the
          XSLT processor about these supplemental additions to your document model.

          Not only are you not obliged to give the XSLT processor ELEMENT content
          model declarations, even if you did so they will be ignored. XSLT works
          only with the XPath structure which itself works only with the information
          present in an XML instance and appropriate ATTLIST declarations of any
          supplied DTD made up of declarations found both internal and external to
          the document itself.

          I hope this helps.

          ......................... Ken

          Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
          Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
          Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
          Next public instructor-led training: 2001-10-11,10-22,11-01,11-02,
          - 11-05,11-19,12-09,12-10
        • Thomas Holz
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2001
            so does xsl make dtds
            > unnessecarry?

            DTDs define the structure of an XML document, e.g. that an element is made
            up of five other elements or something like that.
            An XSL document defines how an XML document is transformed into something
            else, e.g. a HTML document
            DTDs are rules, XSL is an instruction
          • Richard Tobin
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2001
              Why does my xsl not find any data in an xml if the xml contains a dtd tag