Leader with caption

  • J. David Eisenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
      I've been converting some fill-in-the-blanks forms to XSL:FO, and
      have come up against this sort of situation:

      Home phone: _____________________
      Area Code

      Print your name: _________________ ________________
      First Last

      I use <fo:leader> for the underlines, and then create a new
      <fo:block> with a margin to get the words "Area Code" under the
      "Home Phone" entry; I needed a table to get the "Print your name"
      entry to look the way I wanted it to.

      It would be nice if I could somehow set up an <fo:inline> that
      contained both the leader and the caption (by using
      position="relative" for the text) so that they are tied together.
      However, it didn't seem to work in FOP.

      Is there an easy way to do what I want, or am I just approaching the
      problem in an entirely incorrect manner?
    • Christopher R. Maden
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        At 11:41 2-10-2001, J. David Eisenberg wrote:
        >I've been converting some fill-in-the-blanks forms to XSL:FO, and
        >have come up against this sort of situation:
        >
        > Home phone: _____________________
        > Area Code

        Probably the most straightforward way to do this is with tables, but then
        you have to tweak the widths. This is the lazy way.

        The right way... hmm. I would probably make "Area Code" use a baseline
        shift to drop it down, and then put a border above it and pad it out to the
        right width with a space leader, or set an abolute width on the FO.

        -Chris
        --
        Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.
        PGP Fingerprint: BBA6 4085 DED0 E176 D6D4 5DFC AC52 F825 AFEC 58DA