RE: [XSL-FO] Creating Word-document ?

  • Bryan Rasmussen
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
      There's an open-source java based xsl-fo to rtf converter, at www.jfor.org
      it's not very advanced yet but I think you can get some use out of it.
    • Griffin Caprio
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
        >On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
        > > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
        > > but then for creating Word-documents
        > > (or text-documents with pictures ? )
        >
        >jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
        >documents for Word, including pictures.
        More than likly, you are not going to find something to output .doc files.
        The reason being is that the PDF format is open, the RTF spec is open, but
        the DOC spec is far from it. It is the same problem that open source
        projects have when trying to read and/or convert DOC files in their
        programs. It's mostly guesswork. Some more research will have to be done
        in mapping out the DOC format before it becomes fesible to create DOC's. Or
        MS will have to open the format. Either way, your quickest solution for
        right now is RTF output, like the processor above.

        Griffin

      • Bryan Rasmussen
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
          One could just as well output html from xslt, in the format supported by
          word, the namespaces are as follows:
          o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" for office documents, this is
          used for metadata, for example <o:Author>bry</o:Author>, it also holds such
          information as <o:Pages> </o:Pages> <o:Characters></o:Characters> which is
          not something to determine with xslt
          w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" the word format, I've never had
          made use of this other than declaring it, since what I output is generally
          just simple text.
          xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" the specific html dtd

          use wscript to automate opening the output html with word, and saving to
          .doc format