Re: [XSL-FO] Creating Word-document ?

  • Bertrand Delacretaz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
      On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
      > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
      > but then for creating Word-documents
      > (or text-documents with pictures ? )

      jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
      documents for Word, including pictures.

      --
      -- Bertrand Delacr�taz,
      �-- jfor.org project manager
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
        There's an open-source java based xsl-fo to rtf converter, at www.jfor.org
        it's not very advanced yet but I think you can get some use out of it.
      • Griffin Caprio
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
          >On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
          > > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
          > > but then for creating Word-documents
          > > (or text-documents with pictures ? )
          >
          >jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
          >documents for Word, including pictures.
          More than likly, you are not going to find something to output .doc files.
          The reason being is that the PDF format is open, the RTF spec is open, but
          the DOC spec is far from it. It is the same problem that open source
          projects have when trying to read and/or convert DOC files in their
          programs. It's mostly guesswork. Some more research will have to be done
          in mapping out the DOC format before it becomes fesible to create DOC's. Or
          MS will have to open the format. Either way, your quickest solution for
          right now is RTF output, like the processor above.

          Griffin

        • Bryan Rasmussen
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
            One could just as well output html from xslt, in the format supported by
            word, the namespaces are as follows:
            o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" for office documents, this is
            used for metadata, for example <o:Author>bry</o:Author>, it also holds such
            information as <o:Pages> </o:Pages> <o:Characters></o:Characters> which is
            not something to determine with xslt
            w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" the word format, I've never had
            made use of this other than declaring it, since what I output is generally
            just simple text.
            xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" the specific html dtd

            use wscript to automate opening the output html with word, and saving to
            .doc format