Re: [XSL-FO] Creating Word-document ?

  • Paul Tyson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
      Steven,

      I have not done an extensive search, but I do not know of any application
      that will create Word documents from an XSL-FO document.

      If you know (or want to learn) a little RTF (Rich Text Format), you might be
      able to use the RTF output method of 4xt
      (http://4xt.org/news/010712-0001.xml). RTF files can be read by MSWord.

      I am working on an XSLT transformation that will produce RTF output directly
      from an XSL-FO document. It is not yet to the alpha stage, but when it is I
      will post it at http://precisiondocuments/fo2rtf for review, testing, and
      feedback.

      It would greatly aid my development efforts if you or any other list members
      could send me sample FO documents, or give me URLs for nontrivial FO
      sources.

      Later,
      --Paul

      Paul Tyson, Principal Consultant Precision Documents
      paul@... http://precisiondocuments.com
      "The art and science of document engineering."

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
        On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
        > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
        > but then for creating Word-documents
        > (or text-documents with pictures ? )

        jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
        documents for Word, including pictures.

        --
        -- Bertrand Delacr�taz,
        �-- jfor.org project manager
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
          There's an open-source java based xsl-fo to rtf converter, at www.jfor.org
          it's not very advanced yet but I think you can get some use out of it.
        • Griffin Caprio
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
            >On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
            > > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
            > > but then for creating Word-documents
            > > (or text-documents with pictures ? )
            >
            >jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
            >documents for Word, including pictures.
            More than likly, you are not going to find something to output .doc files.
            The reason being is that the PDF format is open, the RTF spec is open, but
            the DOC spec is far from it. It is the same problem that open source
            projects have when trying to read and/or convert DOC files in their
            programs. It's mostly guesswork. Some more research will have to be done
            in mapping out the DOC format before it becomes fesible to create DOC's. Or
            MS will have to open the format. Either way, your quickest solution for
            right now is RTF output, like the processor above.

            Griffin

          • Bryan Rasmussen
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
              One could just as well output html from xslt, in the format supported by
              word, the namespaces are as follows:
              o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" for office documents, this is
              used for metadata, for example <o:Author>bry</o:Author>, it also holds such
              information as <o:Pages> </o:Pages> <o:Characters></o:Characters> which is
              not something to determine with xslt
              w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" the word format, I've never had
              made use of this other than declaring it, since what I output is generally
              just simple text.
              xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" the specific html dtd

              use wscript to automate opening the output html with word, and saving to
              .doc format