Creating Word-document ?

  • becereus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
      Does there exist something like the FOP parser
      but then for creating Word-documents
      (or text-documents with pictures ? )

      Or does someone know some java-code to add page-breaks and images to
      a text file ???

      Regards
      Steven ?
    • John E. Simpson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
        At 10:40 PM 09/30/2001 +0000, becereus@... wrote:
        >Does there exist something like the FOP parser
        >but then for creating Word-documents
        >(or text-documents with pictures ? )

        Steven, you definitely need to do some research. :)

        Here's a whirlwind explanation, skipping a LOT of detail:

        "FOP" is an acronym, for "Formatting Objects [to] PDF." (In its earliest
        incarnation, I think the FO referred to the now-defunct term "flow
        objects.") The term "formatting objects" comes from the XSL-FO
        specification. This specification defines an XML-based vocabulary for
        creating presentations of XML document content, particularly presentations
        suitable for print media. There aren't many application which read and
        present XSL-FO documents directly. However, there are a couple of more or
        less successful ones which "translate" XSL-FO documents to the Adobe
        Acrobat PDF format. FOP is one of the latter.

        As you probably know, PDF documents can include all kinds of embedded
        images, as well as text, various fonts, different kinds of page layouts,
        tables, and so on. This makes them functionally "equivalent" to Word
        documents... except, of course, you don't need to buy Word in order to
        "read" them. You just use the free-for-the-download Acrobat Reader.

        >Or does someone know some java-code to add page-breaks and images to
        >a text file ???

        Well, Java's out of my domain. It's kind of off-topic for an XSL-FO mailing
        list, anyway; you might want to try any of the Java-specific mailing lists
        or newsgroups.

        Sorry if this isn't much specific help. There's just TOO much information
        required to answer your questions fully.

        John E. Simpson | "I saw a sign: 'Rest Area 25 Miles'. That's
        http://www.flixml.org | pretty big. Some people must be really tired."
        XML Q&A: www.xml.com | (Steven Wright)
      • Paul Tyson
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
          Steven,

          I have not done an extensive search, but I do not know of any application
          that will create Word documents from an XSL-FO document.

          If you know (or want to learn) a little RTF (Rich Text Format), you might be
          able to use the RTF output method of 4xt
          (http://4xt.org/news/010712-0001.xml). RTF files can be read by MSWord.

          I am working on an XSLT transformation that will produce RTF output directly
          from an XSL-FO document. It is not yet to the alpha stage, but when it is I
          will post it at http://precisiondocuments/fo2rtf for review, testing, and
          feedback.

          It would greatly aid my development efforts if you or any other list members
          could send me sample FO documents, or give me URLs for nontrivial FO
          sources.

          Later,
          --Paul

          Paul Tyson, Principal Consultant Precision Documents
          paul@... http://precisiondocuments.com
          "The art and science of document engineering."

          > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
          > but then for creating Word-documents
          > (or text-documents with pictures ? )
          >
          > Or does someone know some java-code to add page-breaks and images to
          > a text file ???
          >
          > Regards
          > Steven ?

        • Bertrand Delacretaz
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
            On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
            > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
            > but then for creating Word-documents
            > (or text-documents with pictures ? )

            jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
            documents for Word, including pictures.

            --
            -- Bertrand Delacr�taz,
            �-- jfor.org project manager
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
              There's an open-source java based xsl-fo to rtf converter, at www.jfor.org
              it's not very advanced yet but I think you can get some use out of it.
            • Griffin Caprio
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
                >On Monday 01 October 2001 00:40, becereus@... wrote:
                > > Does there exist something like the FOP parser
                > > but then for creating Word-documents
                > > (or text-documents with pictures ? )
                >
                >jfor (www.jfor.org), an Open-Source XSL-FO to RTF converter, generates RTF
                >documents for Word, including pictures.
                More than likly, you are not going to find something to output .doc files.
                The reason being is that the PDF format is open, the RTF spec is open, but
                the DOC spec is far from it. It is the same problem that open source
                projects have when trying to read and/or convert DOC files in their
                programs. It's mostly guesswork. Some more research will have to be done
                in mapping out the DOC format before it becomes fesible to create DOC's. Or
                MS will have to open the format. Either way, your quickest solution for
                right now is RTF output, like the processor above.

                Griffin

              • Bryan Rasmussen
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
                  One could just as well output html from xslt, in the format supported by
                  word, the namespaces are as follows:
                  o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" for office documents, this is
                  used for metadata, for example <o:Author>bry</o:Author>, it also holds such
                  information as <o:Pages> </o:Pages> <o:Characters></o:Characters> which is
                  not something to determine with xslt
                  w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" the word format, I've never had
                  made use of this other than declaring it, since what I output is generally
                  just simple text.
                  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" the specific html dtd

                  use wscript to automate opening the output html with word, and saving to
                  .doc format