Text Overflows Margin Bottom

  • Horace Burke
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 8:30 AM
      Hi All,

      I am experiencing some text overflowing page issues in my PDF files and
      want to know if anyone could give me a few pointers on how to resolve this
      problem. I have place snippets of my XSL-FO stylesheet below.

      The FO stylesheet is developed for a document which will be displayed in a
      table format. So, the issue is whenever there is large number of
      paragraphs in a particular section the text overflows in the margin
      bottom, basically running off the page; it doesn't continue to the next
      page as I would expect.

      Can anyone tell me how I can resolve this issue? Please let me know if
      additional information is needed.

      Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

      Regards,
      Horace

      <!--XSL-FO Snippet-->
      <!--Page margin layout -->
      <fo:layout-master-set>
      <fo:simple-page-master page-height="11in" page-width="8.5in"
      margin-top="7mm" margin-bottom="12mm" margin-left="10mm"
      margin-right="10mm" master-name="ds-page">
      <fo:region-body region-name="ds-page-body" margin-top="15mm"
      margin-bottom="15mm" background-image="watermark.eps"
      background-repeat="no-repeat"/>

      </fo:simple-page-master>
      </fo:layout-master-set>

      <!--RegInfo Table template-->
      <xsl:template match="RegInfo">
      <fo:table-and-caption space-before="1.5em">
      <fo:table border-style="solid" border-width="1pt">
      <fo:table-row>
      <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="1pt"
      border-top="none" border-bottom="none" border-left="1.5pt"
      border-right="none" padding-top="2mm" padding-bottom="2mm"
      text-align="left" number-columns-spanned="2">
      <fo:block start-indent=".3em" font-weight="bold">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="CaProp/title"/>
      </fo:block><!--"California Proposition 65" -->
      </fo:table-cell>
      <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="1pt"
      border-top="none" border-bottom="none" border-left="none"
      border-right="1.5pt" padding-top="2mm" padding-bottom="2mm"
      text-align="left" number-columns-spanned="5">
      <fo:block start-indent="1.25em" end-indent="1em">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="CaProp/para" mode="CaProp"/>
      </fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>
      </fo:table-row>
      </fo:table>
      </fo:table-and-caption>
      </xsl:template>

      <!--Para template-->
      <xsl:template match="para" mode="CaProp">
      <fo:block font-size="10pt" overflow="visible">
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
      </fo:block>
      </xsl:template>

      Got a little couch potato?
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13 5:43 PM
        (sorry for the late response but I found your note in the archives
        after Yahoo unceremoniously suspended sending me posts)

        At Mon Aug 6, 2007 11:30 am Horace wrote:
        >I am experiencing some text overflowing page issues in my PDF files and
        >want to know if anyone could give me a few pointers on how to resolve this
        >problem. I have place snippets of my XSL-FO stylesheet below.
        >
        >The FO stylesheet is developed for a document which will be displayed in a
        >table format. So, the issue is whenever there is large number of
        >paragraphs in a particular section the text overflows in the margin
        >bottom, basically running off the page; it doesn't continue to the next
        >page as I would expect.
        >
        >Can anyone tell me how I can resolve this issue? Please let me know if
        >additional information is needed.

        Looking at your example, I cannot see anything out of the ordinary.

        Can you reduce your tests to a single standalone XSL-FO file that
        reproduces your problem? I tried below to mimic your problem and I
        failed to get unexpected results. You also don't mention which
        software you are running. How does your software handle the XSL-FO
        instance below?

        I hope this helps.

        . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?><!--overflow3.fo-->
        <root xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
        font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">

        <layout-master-set>
        <simple-page-master master-name="frame"
        page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm"
        margin-top="15mm" margin-bottom="15mm"
        margin-left="15mm" margin-right="15mm">
        <region-body region-name="frame-body"/>
        </simple-page-master>
        </layout-master-set>

        <page-sequence master-reference="frame">
        <flow flow-name="frame-body" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
        <block>This is a test</block>
        <block overflow="visible">
        This is a test of the wrapping of a very long paragraph over the end
        of the page.
        </block>
        </flow>
        </page-sequence>
        </root>

        --
        Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
        RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training