Re: General question about XML Schemas

  • mina_hurray
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 11:44 AM
      Thank you Sir for your input. I have another question related to
      xslfo, is there any way to check for a closing tag of an element in xsfo?

      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:

      > mina_hurray wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi all:
      > >
      > > This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
      > > analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
      > > that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
      > > XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
      > > XML input.
      > > Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
      > > to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly
      appreciated.

      > In addition to the documents themselves, any process that depends on
      the
      > specific structure of the documents may be affected by a change to the
      > schema. That would include the things you've listed, as well as editor
      > customizations, browsers, and so forth.
      >
      > And of course it is possible to change schemas in ways that don't
      affect
      > the structure of instances.
      >
      > It's also important to remember that it's the content of the instances
      > that ultimately matter, not what the schema says. That is, if the
      schema
      > allows A or B or C but the instances never actually have C in them, the
      > fact that the schema allows it is irrelevant to processors, because
      > they'll never see a C.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Eliot
      >
      > --
      > W. Eliot Kimber
      > Professional Services
      > Innodata Isogen
      > 8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402
      > Austin, TX 78759
      > (214) 954-5198
      >
      > ekimber@...
      > www.innodata-isogen.com

    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 12:08 PM
        mina_hurray wrote:

        > Thank you Sir for your input. I have another question related to
        > xslfo, is there any way to check for a closing tag of an element in xsfo?

        Your question doesn't make sense for a number of reasons.

        I assume you mean in XSLT rather than in XSL-FO?

        XSLT operates on element nodes, not on tags. You can do stuff at the end
        of a template that matches on a element, e.g.:

        <xsl:template match="foo">
        <!-- do stuff at start of foo processing -->
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
        <!-- do stuff at end of foo processing -->
        </xsl:template>

        Is that what you mean?

        Cheers,

        E.