Re: [XSL-FO] General question about XML Schemas

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      mina_hurray wrote:

      > Hi all:
      >
      > This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
      > analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
      > that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
      > XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
      > XML input.
      > Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
      > to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly appreciated.

      In addition to the documents themselves, any process that depends on the
      specific structure of the documents may be affected by a change to the
      schema. That would include the things you've listed, as well as editor
      customizations, browsers, and so forth.

      And of course it is possible to change schemas in ways that don't affect
      the structure of instances.

      It's also important to remember that it's the content of the instances
      that ultimately matter, not what the schema says. That is, if the schema
      allows A or B or C but the instances never actually have C in them, the
      fact that the schema allows it is irrelevant to processors, because
      they'll never see a C.

      Cheers,

      Eliot

      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      ekimber@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com
    • mina_hurray
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        Thank you Sir for your input. I have another question related to
        xslfo, is there any way to check for a closing tag of an element in xsfo?

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:

        > mina_hurray wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi all:
        > >
        > > This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
        > > analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
        > > that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
        > > XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
        > > XML input.
        > > Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
        > > to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly
        appreciated.

        > In addition to the documents themselves, any process that depends on
        the
        > specific structure of the documents may be affected by a change to the
        > schema. That would include the things you've listed, as well as editor
        > customizations, browsers, and so forth.
        >
        > And of course it is possible to change schemas in ways that don't
        affect
        > the structure of instances.
        >
        > It's also important to remember that it's the content of the instances
        > that ultimately matter, not what the schema says. That is, if the
        schema
        > allows A or B or C but the instances never actually have C in them, the
        > fact that the schema allows it is irrelevant to processors, because
        > they'll never see a C.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Eliot
        >
        > --
        > W. Eliot Kimber
        > Professional Services
        > Innodata Isogen
        > 8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402
        > Austin, TX 78759
        > (214) 954-5198
        >
        > ekimber@...
        > www.innodata-isogen.com

      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          mina_hurray wrote:

          > Thank you Sir for your input. I have another question related to
          > xslfo, is there any way to check for a closing tag of an element in xsfo?

          Your question doesn't make sense for a number of reasons.

          I assume you mean in XSLT rather than in XSL-FO?

          XSLT operates on element nodes, not on tags. You can do stuff at the end
          of a template that matches on a element, e.g.:

          <xsl:template match="foo">
          <!-- do stuff at start of foo processing -->
          <xsl:apply-templates/>
          <!-- do stuff at end of foo processing -->
          </xsl:template>

          Is that what you mean?

          Cheers,

          E.