General question about XML Schemas

  • mina_hurray
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      Hi all:

      This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
      analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
      that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
      XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
      XML input.
      Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
      to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        mina_hurray wrote:

        > Hi all:
        >
        > This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
        > analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
        > that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
        > XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
        > XML input.
        > Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
        > to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly appreciated.

        In addition to the documents themselves, any process that depends on the
        specific structure of the documents may be affected by a change to the
        schema. That would include the things you've listed, as well as editor
        customizations, browsers, and so forth.

        And of course it is possible to change schemas in ways that don't affect
        the structure of instances.

        It's also important to remember that it's the content of the instances
        that ultimately matter, not what the schema says. That is, if the schema
        allows A or B or C but the instances never actually have C in them, the
        fact that the schema allows it is irrelevant to processors, because
        they'll never see a C.

        Cheers,

        Eliot

        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • mina_hurray
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Thank you Sir for your input. I have another question related to
          xslfo, is there any way to check for a closing tag of an element in xsfo?

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:

          > mina_hurray wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi all:
          > >
          > > This is just a general question about XML schemas. I was trying to
          > > analyse the impact of changing an existing schema. My analysis says
          > > that any schema change will of course affect the style sheets,
          > > XQueries, input data and any java interfaces that may be linked to the
          > > XML input.
          > > Is there anything that I may have missed? I am looking at the experts
          > > to help me analyze this scenario, Any input will be highly
          appreciated.

          > In addition to the documents themselves, any process that depends on
          the
          > specific structure of the documents may be affected by a change to the
          > schema. That would include the things you've listed, as well as editor
          > customizations, browsers, and so forth.
          >
          > And of course it is possible to change schemas in ways that don't
          affect
          > the structure of instances.
          >
          > It's also important to remember that it's the content of the instances
          > that ultimately matter, not what the schema says. That is, if the
          schema
          > allows A or B or C but the instances never actually have C in them, the
          > fact that the schema allows it is irrelevant to processors, because
          > they'll never see a C.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Eliot
          >
          > --
          > W. Eliot Kimber
          > Professional Services
          > Innodata Isogen
          > 8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402
          > Austin, TX 78759
          > (214) 954-5198
          >
          > ekimber@...
          > www.innodata-isogen.com

        • Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2007
            mina_hurray wrote:

            > Thank you Sir for your input. I have another question related to
            > xslfo, is there any way to check for a closing tag of an element in xsfo?

            Your question doesn't make sense for a number of reasons.

            I assume you mean in XSLT rather than in XSL-FO?

            XSLT operates on element nodes, not on tags. You can do stuff at the end
            of a template that matches on a element, e.g.:

            <xsl:template match="foo">
            <!-- do stuff at start of foo processing -->
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
            <!-- do stuff at end of foo processing -->
            </xsl:template>

            Is that what you mean?

            Cheers,

            E.