Re: [XSL-FO] Dynamically numbering pages in XSLFO

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2007
      At 2007-04-24 17:01 -0700, you wrote:
      >Thank you for your response. Does that mean that XSLFO
      >does not allow numbering pages dynamically?

      Twice now you've used the word "dynamically" so I suppose I do not
      understand what you are saying.

      In your example, you cited that the presence or absence of an <image>
      element is supposed to add or not add another page to the page
      number. I responded that you create the page yourself in the output
      in order to influence the page number and then replace the page with
      your image page.

      XSL-FO counts the pages you create ... full stop ... you cannot do
      arithmetic with page numbers. To me, creating page numbers for pages
      needed is creating "dynamic" page numbers ... I suppose that isn't
      how you are using the word.

      >Is there any way to fo it using different page sequences?

      Anticipating that question I also stated you cannot use multiple page
      sequences because you cannot calculate which page number to use for a
      subsequent page sequence after the page with the image.

      So I'm not sure what you are asking ... I apologize that I cannot help you.

      . . . . . . . . . Ken

      >--- "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...>
      >wrote:
      >
      > > At 2007-04-24 23:26 +0000, mina_hurray wrote:
      > > >Is there a way to dynamically number pages in
      > > XSLFO?
      > > >
      > > >Suppose I have an xml:
      > > >
      > > ><root>
      > > ><...some element...>
      > > >
      > > ><image></image>
      > > >
      > > ></root>
      > > >
      > > >If there is an image, then a page should be
      > > accounted for the image.
      > > >So if we had 3 pages and an image was added total
      > > number of pages
      > > >should now be 4 pages. If it was removed, then
      > > pages shuld be 3. Can
      > > >this be done in XSLFO?
      > >
      > > Only by you triggering actual blank pages in the
      > > output that then get
      > > removed/replaced ... you cannot do arithmetic with
      > > page numbers. I'm
      > > assuming by your description that the image is a
      > > page on its own.
      > >
      > > You can set an arbitrary page number for the first
      > > page of a page
      > > sequence, but the problem is you cannot calculate
      > > what page number to
      > > use for the first page of the following page
      > > sequence.
      > >
      > > I hope this helps.

      RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training
    • mina_hurray
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
        Hello Mr.Holman:

        I did understand your answers. I apologize for repeating my questions,
        but they were just to clarify to make sure I understood what you were
        saying. Thanks a lot for all your help as always.