Re: [XSL-FO] Dynamically numbering pages in XSLFO

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2007
      At 2007-04-24 23:26 +0000, mina_hurray wrote:
      >Is there a way to dynamically number pages in XSLFO?
      >
      >Suppose I have an xml:
      >
      ><root>
      ><...some element...>
      >
      ><image></image>
      >
      ></root>
      >
      >If there is an image, then a page should be accounted for the image.
      >So if we had 3 pages and an image was added total number of pages
      >should now be 4 pages. If it was removed, then pages shuld be 3. Can
      >this be done in XSLFO?

      Only by you triggering actual blank pages in the output that then get
      removed/replaced ... you cannot do arithmetic with page numbers. I'm
      assuming by your description that the image is a page on its own.

      You can set an arbitrary page number for the first page of a page
      sequence, but the problem is you cannot calculate what page number to
      use for the first page of the following page sequence.

      I hope this helps.

      . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

      RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training
    • ms
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2007
        Thank you for your response. Does that mean that XSLFO
        does not allow numbering pages dynamically? Is there
        any way to fo it using different page sequences?

        --- "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...>

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2007
          At 2007-04-24 17:01 -0700, you wrote:
          >Thank you for your response. Does that mean that XSLFO
          >does not allow numbering pages dynamically?

          Twice now you've used the word "dynamically" so I suppose I do not
          understand what you are saying.

          In your example, you cited that the presence or absence of an <image>
          element is supposed to add or not add another page to the page
          number. I responded that you create the page yourself in the output
          in order to influence the page number and then replace the page with
          your image page.

          XSL-FO counts the pages you create ... full stop ... you cannot do
          arithmetic with page numbers. To me, creating page numbers for pages
          needed is creating "dynamic" page numbers ... I suppose that isn't
          how you are using the word.

          >Is there any way to fo it using different page sequences?

          Anticipating that question I also stated you cannot use multiple page
          sequences because you cannot calculate which page number to use for a
          subsequent page sequence after the page with the image.

          So I'm not sure what you are asking ... I apologize that I cannot help you.

          . . . . . . . . . Ken

          >--- "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...>
          >wrote:
          >
          > > At 2007-04-24 23:26 +0000, mina_hurray wrote:
          > > >Is there a way to dynamically number pages in
          > > XSLFO?
          > > >
          > > >Suppose I have an xml:
          > > >
          > > ><root>
          > > ><...some element...>
          > > >
          > > ><image></image>
          > > >
          > > ></root>
          > > >
          > > >If there is an image, then a page should be
          > > accounted for the image.
          > > >So if we had 3 pages and an image was added total
          > > number of pages
          > > >should now be 4 pages. If it was removed, then
          > > pages shuld be 3. Can
          > > >this be done in XSLFO?
          > >
          > > Only by you triggering actual blank pages in the
          > > output that then get
          > > removed/replaced ... you cannot do arithmetic with
          > > page numbers. I'm
          > > assuming by your description that the image is a
          > > page on its own.
          > >
          > > You can set an arbitrary page number for the first
          > > page of a page
          > > sequence, but the problem is you cannot calculate
          > > what page number to
          > > use for the first page of the following page
          > > sequence.
          > >
          > > I hope this helps.

          RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training
        • mina_hurray
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
            Hello Mr.Holman:

            I did understand your answers. I apologize for repeating my questions,
            but they were just to clarify to make sure I understood what you were
            saying. Thanks a lot for all your help as always.