keep-togethers not working

  • mina_hurray
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
      Hi:

      I am trying to keep a table title and the table together but it does
      not work. I have set keep-with-next="always" for the title. What
      happens is if the table cannot fit on the same page, it splits the row
      just to keep the title and table together when what I expect is that
      is the table does not fit on the page, then the title and the table
      should flow to the next page.

      Can someone please help me here?

      Thanks
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        mina_hurray wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I am trying to keep a table title and the table together but it does
        > not work. I have set keep-with-next="always" for the title. What
        > happens is if the table cannot fit on the same page, it splits the row
        > just to keep the title and table together when what I expect is that
        > is the table does not fit on the page, then the title and the table
        > should flow to the next page.

        You will need to put a keep-together.within-column on the first table
        row. If the title plus first row won't fit on the current page, that
        should force the table to the next page.

        Another useful trick is to use multiple table-bodies to group a few rows
        together to make sure they stay together, for example, if you have a
        table with lots of thin rows and you want to make sure that say the
        first 6 or last 6 rows are always kept together.

        What you don't want to do is force the entire table to stay together
        unless you know it will never exceed the space available, because if it
        overflows the space available, the result is largely unpredicatable and
        likely to be bad.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • mina_hurray
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
          Thank you for your response. That worked just fine.