Question about SAXON

  • mina_hurray
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi:

      I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question.
      I would like to know if there is an option to issue saxon to tell it
      to ignore the well-formedness of the input doc or that it is not an
      xml doc?

      Thanks in advance
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
        mina_hurray wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question.
        > I would like to know if there is an option to issue saxon to tell it
        > to ignore the well-formedness of the input doc or that it is not an
        > xml doc?

        This is really an XSLT question and not a Saxon question.

        What exactly are you trying to do? There may be a way to do what you
        need using some of the features in XSLT 2.0 for processing non-XML input.

        Cheers,

        Eliot

        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • mina_hurray
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
          Basically the input file is in SGML format and the output needs to be
          a well formed XML. So my inputs would be the sgm file and the
          stylesheet to transform it and I am expecting a wellformed XML output.
          But I get this error.

          SXXP0003: Error reported by XML parser: <Here it complains about tags
          not being closed>
          Transformation failed: Run-time errors were reported

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:

          > mina_hurray wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi:
          > >
          > > I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question.
          > > I would like to know if there is an option to issue saxon to tell it
          > > to ignore the well-formedness of the input doc or that it is not an
          > > xml doc?
          >
          > This is really an XSLT question and not a Saxon question.
          >
          > What exactly are you trying to do? There may be a way to do what you
          > need using some of the features in XSLT 2.0 for processing non-XML
          input.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Eliot
          >
          > --
          > W. Eliot Kimber
          > Professional Services
          > Innodata Isogen
          > 8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402
          > Austin, TX 78759
          > (214) 954-5198
          >
          > ekimber@...
          > www.innodata-isogen.com

        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
            mina_hurray wrote:

            > Basically the input file is in SGML format and the output needs to be
            > a well formed XML. So my inputs would be the sgm file and the
            > stylesheet to transform it and I am expecting a wellformed XML output.
            > But I get this error.

            You need to use a tool to convert the SGML to XML before Saxon (or any
            other XML processor) can process it. For example, James Clark's SX tool,
            part of the SP package (http://www.jclark.com/sp/index.htm) will do it.
            Or, if you're using the Arbortext editor, you can do a "save as XML".
            But I usually use SX for this in batch mode.

            There are other tools that will do it, but that's the easiest that I can
            think of.

            Cheers,

            Eliot
            --
            W. Eliot Kimber
            Professional Services

            ekimber@...
            www.innodata-isogen.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
              Mina, following on what Eliot says below, there is a wrapper for SX
              that I have published that preserves the entity declaration subset of the SGML.

              Look for the "N2X Extended environment for SGML to XML
              transformation" in the free resources section of our web site cited below.

              I hope this helps.

              . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

              p.s. I believe there is no way to have Saxon accept SGML inputs, only
              XML for XSLT 1.0 and text is added for XSLT 2.0

              At 2007-04-02 15:05 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
              >mina_hurray wrote:
              > >

              > > Basically the input file is in SGML format and the output needs to be
              > > a well formed XML. So my inputs would be the sgm file and the
              > > stylesheet to transform it and I am expecting a wellformed XML output.
              > > But I get this error.
              >
              >You need to use a tool to convert the SGML to XML before Saxon (or any
              >other XML processor) can process it. For example, James Clark's SX tool,
              >part of the SP package (http://www.jclark.com/sp/index.htm) will do it.
              >Or, if you're using the Arbortext editor, you can do a "save as XML".
              >But I usually use SX for this in batch mode.
              >
              >There are other tools that will do it, but that's the easiest that I can
              >think of.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >Eliot

              RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training
            • mina_hurray
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
                I will take a look at both. Thank you very much for all your help.