Centering a table in XSLFO

  • mina_hurray
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
      Hi:

      I was trying to center a table in XSLFO, and when I looked up on the
      lists, there were two answers

      1) use <fo:table-and-caption text-align="center">
      2) Centering a tbale is not possible in XSLFO. Instead use start-indent.

      I tried <fo:table-and-caption> and it does not center it,instead the
      start-indent indents it. But what I would really like to do is center
      the table. Is it that only XEP dpes not support this option? Please
      let me know any suggestions.

      Thanks in advance
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
        mina_hurray wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I was trying to center a table in XSLFO, and when I looked up on the
        > lists, there were two answers
        >
        > 1) use <fo:table-and-caption text-align="center">
        > 2) Centering a tbale is not possible in XSLFO. Instead use start-indent.

        Table and caption works using XSL Formatter 4. I didn't try it with the
        latest RenderX.

        Otherwise, your only choice is to set a start indent that 1/2 the
        difference between the width of the current containing reference area
        and the width of the table.

        Cheers,

        E.

        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Jirka Kosek
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
          W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

          > Otherwise, your only choice is to set a start indent that 1/2 the
          > difference between the width of the current containing reference area
          > and the width of the table.

          It is also possible to place fo:table inside fo:inline-container which
          is in fo:block that is centered. Unfortunately fo:inline-container is
          also not supported by XEP.

          Jirka

          Jirka Kosek e-mail: jirka@... http://xmlguru.cz
        • mina_hurray
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
            fo:table-and-caption does not work with XEP. The table is not centered.

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:

            > mina_hurray wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi:
            > >
            > > I was trying to center a table in XSLFO, and when I looked up on the
            > > lists, there were two answers
            > >
            > > 1) use <fo:table-and-caption text-align="center">
            > > 2) Centering a tbale is not possible in XSLFO. Instead use
            start-indent.

            > Table and caption works using XSL Formatter 4. I didn't try it with the
            > latest RenderX.
            >
            > Otherwise, your only choice is to set a start indent that 1/2 the
            > difference between the width of the current containing reference area
            > and the width of the table.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > E.
            >
            > --
            > W. Eliot Kimber
            > Professional Services
            > Innodata Isogen
            > 8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402
            > Austin, TX 78759
            > (214) 954-5198
            >
            > ekimber@...
            > www.innodata-isogen.com

          • J.Pietschmann
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
              mina_hurray wrote:
              > I was trying to center a table in XSLFO, and when I looked up on the
              > lists, there were two answers
              >
              > 1) use <fo:table-and-caption text-align="center">
              > 2) Centering a tbale is not possible in XSLFO. Instead use start-indent.
              >
              > I tried <fo:table-and-caption> and it does not center it,instead the
              > start-indent indents it. But what I would really like to do is center
              > the table. Is it that only XEP dpes not support this option? Please
              > let me know any suggestions.

              Try using padding columns, or a blind table with padding columns:
              http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/fo.html#fo-center-table-horizon

              J.Pietschmann
            • mina_hurray
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
                Thanks for all your help on this. Instead of centering, if I want to
                make it page wide using the "pgwide" attribute from the cals table,
                when I say if "pgwide="1" then make the width=100%, it does not work.
                Any suggestions are appreciated.

                --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@...> wrote:

                > mina_hurray wrote:
                > > I was trying to center a table in XSLFO, and when I looked up on the
                > > lists, there were two answers
                > >
                > > 1) use <fo:table-and-caption text-align="center">
                > > 2) Centering a tbale is not possible in XSLFO. Instead use
                start-indent.

                > > I tried <fo:table-and-caption> and it does not center it,instead the
                > > start-indent indents it. But what I would really like to do is center
                > > the table. Is it that only XEP dpes not support this option? Please
                > > let me know any suggestions.
                >
                > Try using padding columns, or a blind table with padding columns:
                > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/fo.html#fo-center-table-horizon
                >
                > J.Pietschmann

              • W. Eliot Kimber
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17, 2007
                  mina_hurray wrote:

                  > Thanks for all your help on this. Instead of centering, if I want to
                  > make it page wide using the "pgwide" attribute from the cals table,
                  > when I say if "pgwide="1" then make the width=100%, it does not work.
                  > Any suggestions are appreciated.

                  100% means "the width of the current containing reference area", which
                  would usually mean the body page region.

                  If you want the table to be literally the width of the page, then you
                  would need to first create an absolutely-positioned block-container that
                  is the width of the page and then put the table in that.

                  If you're trying to implement processing of CALS or OASIS Interchange
                  Model tables, the easiest thing to do is to crib the table processing
                  code from the DocBook XSLTs.

                  Cheers,

                  E.

                  --
                  W. Eliot Kimber
                  Professional Services

                  ekimber@...
                  www.innodata-isogen.com
                • mina_hurray
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
                    For a pgwide attribute=1 , I tried span=all and width=100%. It does
                    not work for both cases. I want the table to span the region-body when
                    the pgwide attribute is set to 1. How can I dothis?

                    --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:

                    > mina_hurray wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Thanks for all your help on this. Instead of centering, if I want to
                    > > make it page wide using the "pgwide" attribute from the cals table,
                    > > when I say if "pgwide="1" then make the width=100%, it does not work.
                    > > Any suggestions are appreciated.
                    >
                    > 100% means "the width of the current containing reference area", which
                    > would usually mean the body page region.
                    >
                    > If you want the table to be literally the width of the page, then you
                    > would need to first create an absolutely-positioned block-container
                    that
                    > is the width of the page and then put the table in that.
                    >
                    > If you're trying to implement processing of CALS or OASIS Interchange
                    > Model tables, the easiest thing to do is to crib the table processing
                    > code from the DocBook XSLTs.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > E.
                    >
                    > --
                    > W. Eliot Kimber
                    > Professional Services
                    > Innodata Isogen
                    > 8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402
                    > Austin, TX 78759
                    > (214) 954-5198
                    >
                    > ekimber@...
                    > www.innodata-isogen.com

                  • W. Eliot Kimber
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
                      mina_hurray wrote:

                      > For a pgwide attribute=1 , I tried span=all and width=100%. It does
                      > not work for both cases. I want the table to span the region-body when
                      > the pgwide attribute is set to 1. How can I dothis?

                      Would have to see the FO data to know what should or shouldn't work as
                      well as which XSL-FO engine you're using. There could be many reasons
                      why it's not doing what you want, including things like inherited start
                      indent.

                      Cheers,

                      Eliot

                      --