Outputting 128 barcode problem

  • Ken Sands
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
      I have the code128 font from the dobson site,

      I've created the line for a barcode using this, if I paste that into notepad and change the font to the barcode one all is fine.

      I've added the font to fop and tried outputting with it, but the pdf has the empty box symbol in various places.

      Anyone know if fop does some translations to certain characters and how to turn them off?

      This is the line for the barcode - ™``”•€"Ftqœ

      Which translates once read back by the scanner into 2 nulls followed by 00023884

      Anyone have any ideas?

      Ken.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
        Ken Sands wrote:

        > I have the code128 font from the dobson site,
        >
        > I've created the line for a barcode using this, if I paste that into
        > notepad and change the font to the barcode one all is fine.
        >
        > I've added the font to fop and tried outputting with it, but the pdf has
        > the empty box symbol in various places.
        >
        > Anyone know if fop does some translations to certain characters and how
        > to turn them off?
        >
        > This is the line for the barcode - ™``”•€"Ftqœ
        >
        > Which translates once read back by the scanner into 2 nulls followed by
        > 00023884
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas?

        What version of FOP are you using? You might get a better response to a
        FOP specific question on the fop-users mailing list. Subscribe here:

        http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/maillist.html#fop-user-subscribe

        <snip/>

        Chris
      • Ken Sands
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
          0.91 beta with a few personal additions for duplex controls and extra hypenation stuff.

          I think it's a case of character encodings, the barcode font uses characters from 128 to 158 as well as the standard from 33 to 127

          I've tried changing anything above 127 to nn but it hasn't helped, I'm going to try to get a standard font to show me the ™ (trademark) sign
          I think if I can do that I'll have solved it, anyone give me a simple example for that?

          Ken.

          > I have the code128 font from the dobson site,
          >
          > I've created the line for a barcode using this, if I paste that into
          > notepad and change the font to the barcode one all is fine.
          >
          > I've added the font to fop and tried outputting with it, but the pdf
          > has the empty box symbol in various places.
          >
          > Anyone know if fop does some translations to certain characters and
          > how to turn them off?
          >
          > This is the line for the barcode - ™``”•€"Ftqœ
          >
          > Which translates once read back by the scanner into 2 nulls followed
          > by
          > 00023884
          >
          > Anyone have any ideas?

          What version of FOP are you using? You might get a better response to a FOP specific question on the fop-users mailing list. Subscribe here:

          http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/maillist.html#fop-user-subscribe

          <snip/>

          Chris

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • J.Pietschmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
            Ken Sands wrote:
            > I think it's a case of character encodings, the barcode font uses
            > characters from 128 to 158

            The code points from 128 to 160 are the "Upper Control Char Set" in
            unicode and must occur in an XML 1.0 source file according to the
            spec, therefore you can't expect to get them through FOP. You could
            shop for an XML 1.1 parser (is 1.1 already a recommendation?), but
            a somewhat forgiving 1.0 parser should do too.

            J.Pietschmann
          • Ken Sands
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
              I figured that to be the case, so I used the windows character map
              program to find the unicode of each character (in the range 128 - 159)
              in the barcode font and have a big switch statement to put the unicode
              numbers in the place of these high range characters, it works great now,
              thanks.

              Reading around this seems to be something quite a few people find
              troubling at first, and none of the pages I found explain it very well
              or how to deal with it.

              But I'm sorted now.

              Ken.

              > I think it's a case of character encodings, the barcode font uses
              > characters from 128 to 158

              The code points from 128 to 160 are the "Upper Control Char Set" in
              unicode and must occur in an XML 1.0 source file according to the spec,
              therefore you can't expect to get them through FOP. You could shop for
              an XML 1.1 parser (is 1.1 already a recommendation?), but a somewhat
              forgiving 1.0 parser should do too.

              J.Pietschmann

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              The DSI Group of Companies
              International House, Barlow Way,
              Fairview Industrial Park., Rainham, Essex, RM13 8EW, UK
              Tel: +44 (0) 1708 523 000
              Fax: +44 (0) 1708 524 000
              Email: enquiries@...

              dsi group ltd., dsigroup.com and dsigroup.co.uk are the trading names of direct solutions international ltd

              dsi is the registerred trademark of direct solutions international ltd

              Registerred in England No. 2788181 VAT No. 625 7261 39

              This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.