Re: Displaying blank page number without actually inserting a blank

  • Carolyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn" <coliver@...> wrote:

      > In my document's footer I'm displaying the page number. But on the
      > last page of text, if it ends on an odd page number, I need "page
      > number/(next page number blank).
      >
      > I realize I can't get the unique footer and throw in the blank page
      > (because the blank then becomes my 'last page') so I would just like
      > to concentrate on the unique footer. If I use an empty block with
      > id="last-page" following my text, the page number that is referenced
      > using <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="last-page"/> is the last page
      > of text.
      >
      > How do I add 1 to that number to indicate the true page count I should
      > end up with after manually adding the blank?

      I take it that this can't be done then?
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        Carolyn wrote:
        > > How do I add 1 to that number to indicate the true page count I should
        > > end up with after manually adding the blank?
        > >

        > I take it that this can't be done then?

        Correct--you cannot perform arithmetic on page numbers.

        But why not just generate the page in the FO? I'm not sure I clearly
        understand your requirements.

        Cheers,

        Eliot

        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • J.Pietschmann
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
          W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
          > But why not just generate the page in the FO? I'm not sure I clearly
          > understand your requirements.

          If it's a blank page, there is no way to get a page number citation,
          at least not by referencing flow content. I'm not sure what happens
          if a page number citation references static content.

          J.PIetschmann
        • Shawn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
            If you have text within a list-item-body that has a larger font size than
            the list item label (and the other text within the list-item) in FO, It
            aligns the tops of the label and text. Here's the fo:

            <fo:list-block provisional-label-seperation="5pt">
            <fo:list-item keep-with-next="always">
            <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
            text-align="right">
            <fo:block>1. </fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-label>
            <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
            <fo:block>One</fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-body>
            </fo:list-item>
            <fo:list-item>
            <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
            text-align="right">
            <fo:block>2. </fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-label>
            <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
            <fo:block>Two</fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-body>
            </fo:list-item>
            <fo:list-item keep-with-previous="always">
            <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
            text-align="right">
            <fo:block>3. </fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-label>
            <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
            <fo:block>
            <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
            <fo:inline font-size="36pt">Big</fo:inline>
            <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
            </fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-body>
            </fo:list-item>
            </fo:list-block>

            In HTML, it aligns the bottoms. Here's the html:
            <OL>
            <LI>One</LI>
            <LI>Two</LI>
            <LI>
            <Span>Three</Span><Span style="FONT-SIZE:
            36pt">Big</Span><Span>Three</Span>
            </LI>
            </OL>

            Does any one have any ideas on how to make the fo look like the html? I can
            do it by replacing the fo:block elements inside the list-item-body with
            fo:inline and putting the blocks inside the list-item (ex):

            <fo:list-item keep-with-previous="always">
            <fo:block>
            <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
            text-align="right">
            <fo:inline>3. </fo:inline>
            </fo:list-item-label>
            <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
            <fo:inline>
            <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
            <fo:inline font-size="36pt">Big</fo:inline>
            <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
            </fo:inline>
            </fo:list-item-body>
            </fo:block>
            </fo:list-item>

            But if I use embedded lists, it doesn't render correctly -- my fo renderer
            (ibex) says "fo:list-item-label contained in an fo:list-item-body,
            fo:list-item-label should be child of fo:list-item". The label is actually
            a child of the fo:block, which is a child of the list item. As I said, as
            long as I don't use an embedded list that works, but I realize it is bad fo.

            Any ideas on a work-around using proper fo?
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
              At 2006-11-03 16:53 -0600, Shawn wrote:
              >If you have text within a list-item-body that has a larger font size than
              >the list item label (and the other text within the list-item) in FO, It
              >aligns the tops of the label and text.

              Yes, the initial value for relative-align= is the before-edge.

              >Does any one have any ideas on how to make the fo look like the html?

              Have you tried relative-align="baseline"?

              >But if I use embedded lists, it doesn't render correctly -- my fo renderer
              >(ibex) says "fo:list-item-label contained in an fo:list-item-body,
              >fo:list-item-label should be child of fo:list-item".

              Correct, the structure of lists is very rigid.

              >Any ideas on a work-around using proper fo?

              I think you'll find this property will help you.

              --
              UBL/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Allerød/Vårø Denmark 2006-11-13,17,20/24
              UBL International 2006 2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
                Thanks for the info!

                Unfortunately, my pdf generator doesn't implement that property. Hopefully
                in a not so distant future release they will.