Displaying blank page number without actually inserting a blank

  • Carolyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2006
      In my document's footer I'm displaying the page number. But on the
      last page of text, if it ends on an odd page number, I need "page
      number/(next page number blank).

      I realize I can't get the unique footer and throw in the blank page
      (because the blank then becomes my 'last page') so I would just like
      to concentrate on the unique footer. If I use an empty block with
      id="last-page" following my text, the page number that is referenced
      using <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="last-page"/> is the last page
      of text.

      How do I add 1 to that number to indicate the true page count I should
      end up with after manually adding the blank?
    • Carolyn
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn" <coliver@...> wrote:

        > In my document's footer I'm displaying the page number. But on the
        > last page of text, if it ends on an odd page number, I need "page
        > number/(next page number blank).
        >
        > I realize I can't get the unique footer and throw in the blank page
        > (because the blank then becomes my 'last page') so I would just like
        > to concentrate on the unique footer. If I use an empty block with
        > id="last-page" following my text, the page number that is referenced
        > using <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="last-page"/> is the last page
        > of text.
        >
        > How do I add 1 to that number to indicate the true page count I should
        > end up with after manually adding the blank?

        I take it that this can't be done then?
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
          Carolyn wrote:
          > > How do I add 1 to that number to indicate the true page count I should
          > > end up with after manually adding the blank?
          > >

          > I take it that this can't be done then?

          Correct--you cannot perform arithmetic on page numbers.

          But why not just generate the page in the FO? I'm not sure I clearly
          understand your requirements.

          Cheers,

          Eliot

          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services

          ekimber@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com
        • J.Pietschmann
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
            W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
            > But why not just generate the page in the FO? I'm not sure I clearly
            > understand your requirements.

            If it's a blank page, there is no way to get a page number citation,
            at least not by referencing flow content. I'm not sure what happens
            if a page number citation references static content.

            J.PIetschmann
          • Shawn
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
              If you have text within a list-item-body that has a larger font size than
              the list item label (and the other text within the list-item) in FO, It
              aligns the tops of the label and text. Here's the fo:

              <fo:list-block provisional-label-seperation="5pt">
              <fo:list-item keep-with-next="always">
              <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
              text-align="right">
              <fo:block>1. </fo:block>
              </fo:list-item-label>
              <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
              <fo:block>One</fo:block>
              </fo:list-item-body>
              </fo:list-item>
              <fo:list-item>
              <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
              text-align="right">
              <fo:block>2. </fo:block>
              </fo:list-item-label>
              <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
              <fo:block>Two</fo:block>
              </fo:list-item-body>
              </fo:list-item>
              <fo:list-item keep-with-previous="always">
              <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
              text-align="right">
              <fo:block>3. </fo:block>
              </fo:list-item-label>
              <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
              <fo:block>
              <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
              <fo:inline font-size="36pt">Big</fo:inline>
              <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
              </fo:block>
              </fo:list-item-body>
              </fo:list-item>
              </fo:list-block>

              In HTML, it aligns the bottoms. Here's the html:
              <OL>
              <LI>One</LI>
              <LI>Two</LI>
              <LI>
              <Span>Three</Span><Span style="FONT-SIZE:
              36pt">Big</Span><Span>Three</Span>
              </LI>
              </OL>

              Does any one have any ideas on how to make the fo look like the html? I can
              do it by replacing the fo:block elements inside the list-item-body with
              fo:inline and putting the blocks inside the list-item (ex):

              <fo:list-item keep-with-previous="always">
              <fo:block>
              <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()"
              text-align="right">
              <fo:inline>3. </fo:inline>
              </fo:list-item-label>
              <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
              <fo:inline>
              <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
              <fo:inline font-size="36pt">Big</fo:inline>
              <fo:inline>Three</fo:inline>
              </fo:inline>
              </fo:list-item-body>
              </fo:block>
              </fo:list-item>

              But if I use embedded lists, it doesn't render correctly -- my fo renderer
              (ibex) says "fo:list-item-label contained in an fo:list-item-body,
              fo:list-item-label should be child of fo:list-item". The label is actually
              a child of the fo:block, which is a child of the list item. As I said, as
              long as I don't use an embedded list that works, but I realize it is bad fo.

              Any ideas on a work-around using proper fo?
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
                At 2006-11-03 16:53 -0600, Shawn wrote:
                >If you have text within a list-item-body that has a larger font size than
                >the list item label (and the other text within the list-item) in FO, It
                >aligns the tops of the label and text.

                Yes, the initial value for relative-align= is the before-edge.

                >Does any one have any ideas on how to make the fo look like the html?

                Have you tried relative-align="baseline"?

                >But if I use embedded lists, it doesn't render correctly -- my fo renderer
                >(ibex) says "fo:list-item-label contained in an fo:list-item-body,
                >fo:list-item-label should be child of fo:list-item".

                Correct, the structure of lists is very rigid.

                >Any ideas on a work-around using proper fo?

                I think you'll find this property will help you.

                --
                UBL/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Allerød/Vårø Denmark 2006-11-13,17,20/24
                UBL International 2006 2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
                  Thanks for the info!

                  Unfortunately, my pdf generator doesn't implement that property. Hopefully
                  in a not so distant future release they will.