Spanning rows but not always keeping together

  • Carolyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      I need to be span rows but depending on the amount of information, I
      don't always want to use keep-together.within-page="always".
      Occationally, the amount of information or number of rows being
      spanned will not fit on a page.

      What's the best way to tell the FO that if the complete block doesn't
      fit at the bottom of the page to move it to the next but if it doesn't
      fit completely on any page to break it?

      I'm using AntennaHouse V4 to render my file.

      Thanks.

      Carolyn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        At 2006-10-02 12:13 +0000, Carolyn wrote:
        >I need to be span rows but depending on the amount of information, I
        >don't always want to use keep-together.within-page="always".
        >Occationally, the amount of information or number of rows being
        >spanned will not fit on a page.
        >
        >What's the best way to tell the FO that if the complete block doesn't
        >fit at the bottom of the page to move it to the next but if it doesn't
        >fit completely on any page to break it?

        Use a numeric value for the keep strength,
        instead of using "always". By saying "always"
        you are requesting the behaviour of throwing out
        what doesn't fit. But by using a numeric value,
        the processor is allowed to break the keep and still flow all of the content.

        >I'm using AntennaHouse V4 to render my file.

        I'm pleased that Antenna House implements numeric
        keep strength as I use it periodically in my
        work. Not all processors support numeric values.

        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

        --
        UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
        UBL International 2006 2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          Any idea what value I should try? I've tried several and am not
          getting the results I'd expect. It does break when the column is too
          big for the page but it's not enforcing the keep when the block would
          fit on the following page (and not on the current).

          <xsl:template match="row">
          <fo:table-row width="6in" keep-together.within-page="9">
          <xsl:apply-templates/>
          </fo:table-row>
          </xsl:template>