Conditionally displaying a footer

  • jpcm24
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006

      I have a requirement to display the footer details (company name,
      underwriter details etc)in the following manner:
      1.) Cover letter only on 1 side of sheet (even side blank) display
      footer on page 1
      2.) Cover letter flows onto even side - display the footer details
      on the even sheet.

      Currently, the footer region is defined within the first-after
      region, in a block.

      Is it possible to conditionally display the footer if the main body
      (within the flow) overflows to the even side?

      A couple of ideas I have are:
      a.)Have different simple-page-masters for the first-even (one with a
      footer, one without a footer) and determine which one to use.
      b.) Determine whether the flow has gone onto the even side (blank-or-
      nat-blank maybe) and determine whether to display the first-after,
      or blocks.

      Thank you

      John :-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
        At 2006-09-05 13:23 +0000, jpcm24 wrote:
        >I have a requirement to display the footer details (company name,
        >underwriter details etc)in the following manner:
        >1.) Cover letter only on 1 side of sheet (even side blank) display
        >footer on page 1
        >2.) Cover letter flows onto even side - display the footer details
        >on the even sheet.
        >
        >Currently, the footer region is defined within the first-after
        >region, in a block.
        >
        >Is it possible to conditionally display the footer if the main body
        >(within the flow) overflows to the even side?
        >
        >A couple of ideas I have are:
        >a.)Have different simple-page-masters for the first-even (one with a
        >footer, one without a footer)

        Yes, you need that.

        >and determine which one to use.

        But you can't "determine" you can only "prepare" to use each one.

        >b.) Determine whether the flow has gone onto the even side (blank-or-
        >nat-blank maybe) and determine whether to display the first-after,
        >or blocks.

        There is no "determination" in XSL-FO ... only
        contingencies. You set up your stylesheet in
        such a way that the resulting XSL-FO has
        contingencies for the situations the formatter
        finds itself in when flowing the information.

        Your first page is clear.

        Your second page is a choice, so you order the
        alternatives in the tested order such that you
        get what you want when the first in the order
        tests true for the condition in which the
        formatter finds itself after the flow.

        So, you need something like:

        <page-sequence-master master-name="pages">
        <single-page-master-reference master-reference="cover-odd"/>
        <repeatable-page-master-alternatives maximum-repeats="1">
        <conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="page-blank"
        blank-or-not-blank="blank"/>
        <conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="cover-even"/>
        </repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
        <repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
        <conditional-page-master-reference odd-or-even="even"
        master-reference="page-even"/>
        <conditional-page-master-reference odd-or-even="odd"
        master-reference="page-odd"/>
        </repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
        </page-sequence-master>

        Note in the above that you always get a second
        page, but if the page has flow you get the page
        geometry that has your footer, otherwise you get
        the page geometry that shows the blank page.

        The formatter then chooses the page geometry from
        these contingencies ... there is no
        "determination" going on by the XSLT stylesheet,
        only by the formatter amongst the choices you have provided.

        I hope this helps.

        --
        UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
        UBL International 2006 2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com