3 column layout

  • laborde
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hello,

      I use XEP 4.0, and I need to create a brochure with 3 columns,
      landscape, size 11x8.5 paper. I think I understand setting span to none
      or all, but is there a way to insert a "break" in a column? Like a page
      break? That is, I know what text should appear in each column, but if
      column 1 is short, I don't see how to force a break so that the text for
      column 2 will start at the top of column 2 instead of at the bottom of
      column 1. Am I supposed to just tweak the padding and such until each
      section of text appears in the proper column?

      I'm having trouble explaining. I hope that makes sense. I have 2 manuals
      but don't know what I'm looking for. Should I just try doing this with
      tables instead?

      I appreciate your help. If someone could just tell me what keywords to
      search would be great.

      Thanks,
      Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        At 2006-09-01 11:01 -0500, laborde wrote:
        >I use XEP 4.0, and I need to create a brochure with 3 columns,
        >landscape, size 11x8.5 paper. I think I understand setting span to none
        >or all, but is there a way to insert a "break" in a column? Like a page
        >break?

        break-before="column"

        I hope this helps.

        . . . . . . . Ken

        --
        UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
        UBL International 2006 2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          Sorry, I should have also mentioned:

          break-after="column"

          Note also that in both of these cases you are
          specifying a condition that needs to be true, you
          are not specifying an action to be taken.

          If, by chance, when you do break-before="column"
          and you are *already* at the very top of the
          column based on other criteria for having flowed
          information to the point where you are, then flow
          continues as the first area from the top of the
          column you are in and does not force you to the
          start of the next column. If there were any
          other areas in that column you would then be moved to the next column.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
            G. Ken Holman wrote:
            > break-before="column"
            >
            > I hope this helps.

            Good grief. Would you like my address so you can come slap me?

            Thank you,
            Susan