RE: [XSL-FO] Re: Cannot create xml file for add Font to FOP-0.20.5

  • Ken Sands
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
      Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
      if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
      the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
      add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
      I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.

      Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
      perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

      Ken.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
        Ok guy thanks for sharing but my font is really simple and is good
        convert by the 0.20.5 version I have found the following line to
        generate my xml file and that works well:

        java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar;lib\xml-
        apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\xalan.jar
        org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader c:\BR_OCRB.TTF OCRB.xml

        But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
        do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
        transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?If yes did Fop
        0.90Beta have this probleme too?

        For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
        have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
        0.20.5. And unfortunately I didn't have any time for re-write my xsl
        code one more time.

        Thanks for all

        Thierry

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

        > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd
        upgrade
        > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due
        > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code
        > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
        > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
        >
        > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make
        fonts,
        > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.
        >
        > Ken.

        **

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
          Ken Sands wrote:

          > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
          > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
          > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
          > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
          > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
          >
          > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
          > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

          The upgrade comment was aimed at both of you. But its not compulsory of
          course, just recommended.

          What output format are you generating? You can insert Postscript
          commands into Postscript output using the extension described here:

          http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

          This was added after 0.90alpha was released. This means you can tell the
          printer to print in Duplex, the only other thing its necessary to do is
          to insert blanks for the reverse side where the content takes up an odd
          number of pages. This is easily done using the options on the
          page-sequence element.

          <snip/>

          Chris
        • Ken Sands
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
            I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
            found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
            by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
            in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
            fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

            Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
            longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
            interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
            our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

            Ken.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
              Ken Sands wrote:

              > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
              > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
              > by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
              > in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
              > fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

              Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
              reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

              > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
              > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
              > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
              > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

              Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

            • Ken Sands
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                I'm sure I reported it about 7-8 months ago when I first came across it,
                I needed
                a fix straight away for our systems and didn't expect anyone to jump on
                it and get a new
                build out just for me so I sorted it myself, it's not greatly tidy code
                and as I was in a rush at the time never sorted myself out with an
                account so that I could submit anything back. It may well have been
                picked up
                and fixed after I reported it but it's not easy keeping up with things
                while having a job to do as I'm sure you can apprieciate.

                Also I've just realised I'm using 0.91beta not 0.90 it's just built
                Into the folder where I used to have 0.90 because it saved me having
                To change the paths I had in a load of scripts.

                The triangle here is fierce on cost and speed, quality doesn't get a
                look in!

                I've just had a quick look at what I did, basically fop would put in the
                page setup stuff
                On every page, this caused the printer to throw the page and start a new
                one even if in duplex mode
                So I have
                <ps:ps-setup-code name="duplex"
                xmlns:ps="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/postscript">
                <<
                /Duplex true
                /PageSize [595 842]
                /ImagingBBox null
                >> setpagedevice
                </ps:ps-setup-code>

                In my stylesheet for my duplex job

                And the page setup stuff in fop I have moved from the every page bit to
                the once only document setup bit
                I know this prevents useful things like changing orientation or duplex
                mode part way through but as I said
                I needed a fix at the time. Infact due to needing one job simplex
                landscape and one duplex portrait I
                Built 2 fops for my needs, however it'd be quite easy to make them
                switch properly, I did have a version
                Built from 0.90 that did do that, I was just more lazy when I "fixed" up
                my 0.91 files.

                The following snippets are all in the fop\render\ps\PSRenderer.java file

                ******
                gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_RESOURCES,
                new Object[] {PSGenerator.ATEND});
                gen.commentln("%FOPSimplePageMaster: " +
                page.getSPM().getMasterName());
                gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.BEGIN_PAGE_SETUP);
                gen.writeln("[1 0 0 -1 0 841.88898] concat");

                //Handle PSSetupCode instances on simple-page-master
                if (page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().size() > 0) {
                List list = new java.util.ArrayList();
                //Extract all PSSetupCode instances from the attachment list
                on the s-p-m
                Iterator i =
                page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().iterator();
                while (i.hasNext()) {
                ExtensionAttachment attachment =
                (ExtensionAttachment)i.next();
                if
                (PSSetupCode.CATEGORY.equals(attachment.getCategory())) {
                list.add(attachment);
                }
                }
                writeSetupCodeList(list, "PageSetupCode");
                }
                *******

                ******
                //page setup removed from here, moved to once only section at top

                //Process page
                super.renderPage(page);

                writeln("showpage");
                gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_TRAILER);
                gen.writeResources(true);
                gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.END_PAGE);
                }
                ******

                > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and

                > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was
                > overridden by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may
                > have been fixed in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the
                > postscript insert was fine for other things but the pagesetup section
                > itself was overwritten.

                Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                --

                Scanned by mailCritical.
                --

                The DSI Group of Companies
                International House, Barlow Way,
                Fairview Industrial Park., Rainham, Essex, RM13 8EW, UK
                Tel: +44 (0) 1708 523 000
                Fax: +44 (0) 1708 524 000
                Email: enquiries@...

                This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.
              • J.Pietschmann
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                  virgul4u wrote:
                  > But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
                  > do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
                  > transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?

                  Yes. FOP 0.20.5 can't encrypt PDF documents with non-standard fonts
                  properly.

                  > If yes did Fop 0.90Beta have this probleme too?

                  No, this particular problem has been fixed.

                  > For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
                  > have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
                  > 0.20.5.

                  Try the latest release, it has most of the elementary bugs fixed
                  (in particular the text alignment issues, except for page numbers).

                  J.Pietschmann