RE: [XSL-FO] Re: Cannot create xml file for add Font to FOP-0.20.5

  • Ken Sands
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
      0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90 beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

      The problem you are getting is that it's failing to create it's output file:
      "java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C :\FOP\fop-0.20.5\OCRB.xml"

      C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5>java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework-cvs-
      20020806.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar;lib\xalan-
      2.4.1.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader
      c:\windows\fonts\BR_OCRB.TTF c:\BR_OCRB.XML

      Ken.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
        Ken Sands wrote:

        > 0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90 beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

        There wasnt a change to the TTFReader between 0.20.5 and 0.90alpha, but
        there are changes to the TTFReader in more recent FOP code. 0.90alpha is
        quite buggy, 0.20.5 is ancient and limited. Please consider upgrading to
        the latest release 0.92beta or SVN Trunk.

        Chris
      • Ken Sands
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
          Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
          if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
          the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
          add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
          I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.

          Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
          perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

          Ken.

          > 0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it
          > meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in
          > 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90
          > beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version
          > shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to
          > TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

          There wasnt a change to the TTFReader between 0.20.5 and 0.90alpha, but
          there are changes to the TTFReader in more recent FOP code. 0.90alpha is

          quite buggy, 0.20.5 is ancient and limited. Please consider upgrading to

          the latest release 0.92beta or SVN Trunk.

          Chris

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          --

          Scanned by mailCritical.
          --

[...]

        • virgul4u
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
            Ok guy thanks for sharing but my font is really simple and is good
            convert by the 0.20.5 version I have found the following line to
            generate my xml file and that works well:

            java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar;lib\xml-
            apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\xalan.jar
            org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader c:\BR_OCRB.TTF OCRB.xml

            But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
            do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
            transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?If yes did Fop
            0.90Beta have this probleme too?

            For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
            have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
            0.20.5. And unfortunately I didn't have any time for re-write my xsl
            code one more time.

            Thanks for all

            Thierry

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

            > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd
            upgrade
            > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due
            > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code
            > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
            > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
            >
            > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make
            fonts,
            > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.
            >
            > Ken.

            **

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
              Ken Sands wrote:

              > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
              > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
              > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
              > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
              > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
              >
              > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
              > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

              The upgrade comment was aimed at both of you. But its not compulsory of
              course, just recommended.

              What output format are you generating? You can insert Postscript
              commands into Postscript output using the extension described here:

              http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

              This was added after 0.90alpha was released. This means you can tell the
              printer to print in Duplex, the only other thing its necessary to do is
              to insert blanks for the reverse side where the content takes up an odd
              number of pages. This is easily done using the options on the
              page-sequence element.

              <snip/>

              Chris
            • Ken Sands
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
                found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
                by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
                in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
                fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

                Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                Ken.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                  Ken Sands wrote:

                  > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
                  > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
                  > by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
                  > in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
                  > fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

                  Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                  reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                  > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                  > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                  > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                  > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                  Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                • Ken Sands
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                    I'm sure I reported it about 7-8 months ago when I first came across it,
                    I needed
                    a fix straight away for our systems and didn't expect anyone to jump on
                    it and get a new
                    build out just for me so I sorted it myself, it's not greatly tidy code
                    and as I was in a rush at the time never sorted myself out with an
                    account so that I could submit anything back. It may well have been
                    picked up
                    and fixed after I reported it but it's not easy keeping up with things
                    while having a job to do as I'm sure you can apprieciate.

                    Also I've just realised I'm using 0.91beta not 0.90 it's just built
                    Into the folder where I used to have 0.90 because it saved me having
                    To change the paths I had in a load of scripts.

                    The triangle here is fierce on cost and speed, quality doesn't get a
                    look in!

                    I've just had a quick look at what I did, basically fop would put in the
                    page setup stuff
                    On every page, this caused the printer to throw the page and start a new
                    one even if in duplex mode
                    So I have
                    <ps:ps-setup-code name="duplex"
                    xmlns:ps="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/postscript">
                    <<
                    /Duplex true
                    /PageSize [595 842]
                    /ImagingBBox null
                    >> setpagedevice
                    </ps:ps-setup-code>

                    In my stylesheet for my duplex job

                    And the page setup stuff in fop I have moved from the every page bit to
                    the once only document setup bit
                    I know this prevents useful things like changing orientation or duplex
                    mode part way through but as I said
                    I needed a fix at the time. Infact due to needing one job simplex
                    landscape and one duplex portrait I
                    Built 2 fops for my needs, however it'd be quite easy to make them
                    switch properly, I did have a version
                    Built from 0.90 that did do that, I was just more lazy when I "fixed" up
                    my 0.91 files.

                    The following snippets are all in the fop\render\ps\PSRenderer.java file

                    ******
                    gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_RESOURCES,
                    new Object[] {PSGenerator.ATEND});
                    gen.commentln("%FOPSimplePageMaster: " +
                    page.getSPM().getMasterName());
                    gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.BEGIN_PAGE_SETUP);
                    gen.writeln("[1 0 0 -1 0 841.88898] concat");

                    //Handle PSSetupCode instances on simple-page-master
                    if (page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().size() > 0) {
                    List list = new java.util.ArrayList();
                    //Extract all PSSetupCode instances from the attachment list
                    on the s-p-m
                    Iterator i =
                    page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().iterator();
                    while (i.hasNext()) {
                    ExtensionAttachment attachment =
                    (ExtensionAttachment)i.next();
                    if
                    (PSSetupCode.CATEGORY.equals(attachment.getCategory())) {
                    list.add(attachment);
                    }
                    }
                    writeSetupCodeList(list, "PageSetupCode");
                    }
                    *******

                    ******
                    //page setup removed from here, moved to once only section at top

                    //Process page
                    super.renderPage(page);

                    writeln("showpage");
                    gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_TRAILER);
                    gen.writeResources(true);
                    gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.END_PAGE);
                    }
                    ******

                    > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and

                    > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was
                    > overridden by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may
                    > have been fixed in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the
                    > postscript insert was fine for other things but the pagesetup section
                    > itself was overwritten.

                    Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                    reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                    > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                    > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                    > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                    > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                    Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    --

                    Scanned by mailCritical.
                    --

                    The DSI Group of Companies
                    International House, Barlow Way,
                    Fairview Industrial Park., Rainham, Essex, RM13 8EW, UK
                    Tel: +44 (0) 1708 523 000
                    Fax: +44 (0) 1708 524 000
                    Email: enquiries@...

                    This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.
                  • J.Pietschmann
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                      virgul4u wrote:
                      > But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
                      > do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
                      > transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?

                      Yes. FOP 0.20.5 can't encrypt PDF documents with non-standard fonts
                      properly.

                      > If yes did Fop 0.90Beta have this probleme too?

                      No, this particular problem has been fixed.

                      > For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
                      > have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
                      > 0.20.5.

                      Try the latest release, it has most of the elementary bugs fixed
                      (in particular the text alignment issues, except for page numbers).

                      J.Pietschmann