Re: Cannot create xml file for add Font to FOP-0.20.5

  • virgul4u
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25 12:30 AM
      Hi Ken,

      Thanks a lot for your answer.

      But what I don't understand is that you use the version 0.90 beta for
      make your file? Why?

      I have download this package (0.90) and try to run your bat file but
      that send me another error :

      org/apache/fop/fonts/apps/TTFReader

      and he don't find PFMReader, too.

      Result: no xml file is generate...

      I never have use this version before.The only thinge that I have done
      is unzip the 0.90 version in one folder? Do I have forget to do
      somethings?

      I have the jdk 1.4 installed on my PC so I have try to download: "fop-
      0.92beta-bin-jdk1.4.zip" is it right?

      Thanks

      Thierry

      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

      > Maybe try a full path for output of your xml file?
      >
      > The following I have in a bat file (obviously this is for PFM fonts
      but the same should apply for TTF), it's what I use for creating my
      fonts:

      > rem %~dp0 is the expanded pathname of the current script under NT
      > set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=
      > if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0
      > set LIBDIR=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%lib
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%build\fop.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xml-apis.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xalan-2.4.1.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\batik.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\avalon-framework-cvs-
      20020806.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jimi-1.0.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_core.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_codec.jar
      > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\commons-logging-
      1.0.4.jar

      > java -cp "../fop-0.90alpha1/build/fop.jar;../fop-
      0.90alpha1/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;../fop-
      0.90alpha1/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/avalon-
      framework.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/build/lib/xml-apis.jar;../fop-
      0.90alpha1/lib/xercesImpl.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/xalan.jar"
      org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader c:\fog41\ARIAN___.PFM c:\fog41
      \ARIAN___.xml

      > Hope that helps,
      >
      > Ken.

      (Syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rÚpertoire
      > ou de volume
      > incorrecte)
      > at

      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
      > entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:263)
      > at
      > org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform
      (Transf
      > ormerIdentityImpl.java:296)
      > at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML
      > (TTFReader.java:243)
      > at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main
      > (TTFReader.java:196)
      > Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5
      \OCRB.xml (Synt axe du nom de fichier, de rÚpertoire ou de volume
      incorrecte)
      > at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
      > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      > at

      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
      > entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
      > ... 3 more
      > ---------
      > java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5\OCRB.xml
      > (Syntaxe du nom
      > de fichier, de rÚpertoire ou de volume incorrecte)
      > at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
      > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      > at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      > at

      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
      > entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
      > at
      > org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform
      (Transf
      > ormerIdentityImpl.java:296)
      > at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML
      > (TTFReader.java:243)
      > at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main
      > (TTFReader.java:196)
      > This font contains no embedding license restrictions
      >

      > Have you any idea about what is the problem?
      >
      > Thanks a lot for your help.
      >
      > Thierry
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > --
      >
      > Scanned by mailCritical.
      > --
      >
      > The DSI Group of Companies
      > International House, Barlow Way,
      > Fairview Industrial Park., Rainham, Essex, RM13 8EW, UK
      > Tel: +44 (0) 1708 523 000
      > Fax: +44 (0) 1708 524 000
      > Email: enquiries@...

      **
      > This message and any attachments is intended only for the
      individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain
      information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from
      disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission
      is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
      for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are
      hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction,
      dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or
      publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by
      its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you
      have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone
      on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your
      possession.

      **

    • Ken Sands
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25 12:51 AM
        0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90 beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

        The problem you are getting is that it's failing to create it's output file:
        "java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C :\FOP\fop-0.20.5\OCRB.xml"

        C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5>java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework-cvs-
        20020806.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar;lib\xalan-
        2.4.1.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader
        c:\windows\fonts\BR_OCRB.TTF c:\BR_OCRB.XML

        Ken.

        But what I don't understand is that you use the version 0.90 beta for
        make your file? Why?

        I have download this package (0.90) and try to run your bat file but
        that send me another error :

        org/apache/fop/fonts/apps/TTFReader

        and he don't find PFMReader, too.

        Result: no xml file is generate...

        I never have use this version before.The only thinge that I have done
        is unzip the 0.90 version in one folder? Do I have forget to do
        somethings?

        I have the jdk 1.4 installed on my PC so I have try to download: "fop- 0.92beta-bin-jdk1.4.zip" is it right?

        Thanks

        Thierry

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

        > Maybe try a full path for output of your xml file?
        >
        > The following I have in a bat file (obviously this is for PFM fonts
        but the same should apply for TTF), it's what I use for creating my
        fonts:

        > rem %~dp0 is the expanded pathname of the current script under NT set
        > LOCAL_FOP_HOME= if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0
        > set LIBDIR=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%lib
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%build\fop.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xml-apis.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xalan-2.4.1.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\batik.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\avalon-framework-cvs-
        20020806.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jimi-1.0.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_core.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_codec.jar
        > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\commons-logging-
        1.0.4.jar

        > java -cp "../fop-0.90alpha1/build/fop.jar;../fop-
        0.90alpha1/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;../fop-
        0.90alpha1/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/avalon-
        framework.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/build/lib/xml-apis.jar;../fop-
        0.90alpha1/lib/xercesImpl.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/xalan.jar"
        org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader c:\fog41\ARIAN___.PFM c:\fog41 \ARIAN___.xml

        > Hope that helps,
        >
        > Ken.

        **

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25 1:29 AM
          Ken Sands wrote:

          > 0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90 beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

          There wasnt a change to the TTFReader between 0.20.5 and 0.90alpha, but
          there are changes to the TTFReader in more recent FOP code. 0.90alpha is
          quite buggy, 0.20.5 is ancient and limited. Please consider upgrading to
          the latest release 0.92beta or SVN Trunk.

          Chris
        • Ken Sands
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25 1:49 AM
            Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
            if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
            the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
            add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
            I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.

            Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
            perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

            Ken.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25 2:49 AM
              Ok guy thanks for sharing but my font is really simple and is good
              convert by the 0.20.5 version I have found the following line to
              generate my xml file and that works well:

              java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar;lib\xml-
              apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\xalan.jar
              org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader c:\BR_OCRB.TTF OCRB.xml

              But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
              do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
              transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?If yes did Fop
              0.90Beta have this probleme too?

              For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
              have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
              0.20.5. And unfortunately I didn't have any time for re-write my xsl
              code one more time.

              Thanks for all

              Thierry

              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

              > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd
              upgrade
              > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due
              > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code
              > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
              > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
              >
              > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make
              fonts,
              > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.
              >
              > Ken.

              **

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25 3:07 AM
                Ken Sands wrote:

                > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
                > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
                > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
                > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
                > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
                >
                > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
                > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

                The upgrade comment was aimed at both of you. But its not compulsory of
                course, just recommended.

                What output format are you generating? You can insert Postscript
                commands into Postscript output using the extension described here:

                http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

                This was added after 0.90alpha was released. This means you can tell the
                printer to print in Duplex, the only other thing its necessary to do is
                to insert blanks for the reverse side where the content takes up an odd
                number of pages. This is easily done using the options on the
                page-sequence element.

                <snip/>

                Chris
              • Ken Sands
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25 3:41 AM
                  I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
                  found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
                  by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
                  in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
                  fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

                  Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                  longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                  interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                  our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                  Ken.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25 4:06 AM
                    Ken Sands wrote:

                    > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
                    > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
                    > by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
                    > in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
                    > fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

                    Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                    reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                    > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                    > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                    > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                    > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                    Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                  • Ken Sands
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 25 6:11 AM
                      I'm sure I reported it about 7-8 months ago when I first came across it,
                      I needed
                      a fix straight away for our systems and didn't expect anyone to jump on
                      it and get a new
                      build out just for me so I sorted it myself, it's not greatly tidy code
                      and as I was in a rush at the time never sorted myself out with an
                      account so that I could submit anything back. It may well have been
                      picked up
                      and fixed after I reported it but it's not easy keeping up with things
                      while having a job to do as I'm sure you can apprieciate.

                      Also I've just realised I'm using 0.91beta not 0.90 it's just built
                      Into the folder where I used to have 0.90 because it saved me having
                      To change the paths I had in a load of scripts.

                      The triangle here is fierce on cost and speed, quality doesn't get a
                      look in!

                      I've just had a quick look at what I did, basically fop would put in the
                      page setup stuff
                      On every page, this caused the printer to throw the page and start a new
                      one even if in duplex mode
                      So I have
                      <ps:ps-setup-code name="duplex"
                      xmlns:ps="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/postscript">
                      <<
                      /Duplex true
                      /PageSize [595 842]
                      /ImagingBBox null
                      >> setpagedevice
                      </ps:ps-setup-code>

                      In my stylesheet for my duplex job

                      And the page setup stuff in fop I have moved from the every page bit to
                      the once only document setup bit
                      I know this prevents useful things like changing orientation or duplex
                      mode part way through but as I said
                      I needed a fix at the time. Infact due to needing one job simplex
                      landscape and one duplex portrait I
                      Built 2 fops for my needs, however it'd be quite easy to make them
                      switch properly, I did have a version
                      Built from 0.90 that did do that, I was just more lazy when I "fixed" up
                      my 0.91 files.

                      The following snippets are all in the fop\render\ps\PSRenderer.java file

                      ******
                      gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_RESOURCES,
                      new Object[] {PSGenerator.ATEND});
                      gen.commentln("%FOPSimplePageMaster: " +
                      page.getSPM().getMasterName());
                      gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.BEGIN_PAGE_SETUP);
                      gen.writeln("[1 0 0 -1 0 841.88898] concat");

                      //Handle PSSetupCode instances on simple-page-master
                      if (page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().size() > 0) {
                      List list = new java.util.ArrayList();
                      //Extract all PSSetupCode instances from the attachment list
                      on the s-p-m
                      Iterator i =
                      page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().iterator();
                      while (i.hasNext()) {
                      ExtensionAttachment attachment =
                      (ExtensionAttachment)i.next();
                      if
                      (PSSetupCode.CATEGORY.equals(attachment.getCategory())) {
                      list.add(attachment);
                      }
                      }
                      writeSetupCodeList(list, "PageSetupCode");
                      }
                      *******

                      ******
                      //page setup removed from here, moved to once only section at top

                      //Process page
                      super.renderPage(page);

                      writeln("showpage");
                      gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_TRAILER);
                      gen.writeResources(true);
                      gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.END_PAGE);
                      }
                      ******

                      > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and

                      > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was
                      > overridden by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may
                      > have been fixed in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the
                      > postscript insert was fine for other things but the pagesetup section
                      > itself was overwritten.

                      Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                      reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                      > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                      > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                      > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                      > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                      Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      --

                      Scanned by mailCritical.
                      --

                      The DSI Group of Companies
                      International House, Barlow Way,
                      Fairview Industrial Park., Rainham, Essex, RM13 8EW, UK
                      Tel: +44 (0) 1708 523 000
                      Fax: +44 (0) 1708 524 000
                      Email: enquiries@...

                      This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.
                    • J.Pietschmann
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 25 1:54 PM
                        virgul4u wrote:
                        > But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
                        > do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
                        > transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?

                        Yes. FOP 0.20.5 can't encrypt PDF documents with non-standard fonts
                        properly.

                        > If yes did Fop 0.90Beta have this probleme too?

                        No, this particular problem has been fixed.

                        > For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
                        > have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
                        > 0.20.5.

                        Try the latest release, it has most of the elementary bugs fixed
                        (in particular the text alignment issues, except for page numbers).

                        J.Pietschmann