Cannot create xml file for add Font to FOP-0.20.5

  • virgul4u
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006

      I have read the following topic on how to add font in fop:

      but when I try to launch the creation of the xml file I have the
      following log and the xml file is not create:

      C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5>java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework-cvs-
      20020806.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar;lib\xalan-
      2.4.1.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader
      c:\windows\fonts\BR_OCRB.TTF OCRB.xml

      TTF Reader v1.1.1

      Reading C:\windows\fonts\BR_OCRB.TTF...

      Number of glyphs in font: 120
      Glyph 65535 out of range: 120
      Glyph 65535 out of range: 120
      Creating xml font file...

      Creating CID encoded metrics
      Writing xml font file OCRB.xml...

      javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
      java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C
      :\FOP\fop-0.20.5\OCRB.xml (Syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rÚpertoire
      ou de volume
      incorrecte)
      at
      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
      entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:263)
      at
      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(Transf
      ormerIdentityImpl.java:296)
      at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML
      (TTFReader.java:243)
      at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main
      (TTFReader.java:196)
      Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5
      \OCRB.xml (Synt
      axe du nom de fichier, de rÚpertoire ou de volume incorrecte)
      at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at
      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
      entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
      ... 3 more
      ---------
      java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5\OCRB.xml
      (Syntaxe du nom
      de fichier, de rÚpertoire ou de volume incorrecte)
      at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at
      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
      entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
      at
      org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(Transf
      ormerIdentityImpl.java:296)
      at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML
      (TTFReader.java:243)
      at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main
      (TTFReader.java:196)
      This font contains no embedding license restrictions

      Have you any idea about what is the problem?

      Thanks a lot for your help.

      Thierry
    • Ken Sands
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
        Maybe try a full path for output of your xml file?

        The following I have in a bat file (obviously this is for PFM fonts but the same should apply for TTF), it's what I use for creating my fonts:

        rem %~dp0 is the expanded pathname of the current script under NT
        set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=
        if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0
        set LIBDIR=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%lib
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%build\fop.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xml-apis.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xalan-2.4.1.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\batik.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\avalon-framework-cvs-20020806.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jimi-1.0.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_core.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_codec.jar
        set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar

        java -cp "../fop-0.90alpha1/build/fop.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/avalon-framework.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/build/lib/xml-apis.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/xercesImpl.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/xalan.jar" org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader c:\fog41\ARIAN___.PFM c:\fog41\ARIAN___.xml

        Hope that helps,

        Ken.

[...]

        Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5 \OCRB.xml (Synt axe du nom de fichier, de rÚpertoire ou de volume incorrecte)
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        --

        Scanned by mailCritical.
        --

        The DSI Group of Companies
        International House, Barlow Way,

        This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.
      • virgul4u
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
          Hi Ken,

          Thanks a lot for your answer.

          But what I don't understand is that you use the version 0.90 beta for
          make your file? Why?

          I have download this package (0.90) and try to run your bat file but
          that send me another error :

          org/apache/fop/fonts/apps/TTFReader

          and he don't find PFMReader, too.

          Result: no xml file is generate...

          I never have use this version before.The only thinge that I have done
          is unzip the 0.90 version in one folder? Do I have forget to do
          somethings?

          I have the jdk 1.4 installed on my PC so I have try to download: "fop-
          0.92beta-bin-jdk1.4.zip" is it right?

          Thanks

          Thierry

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

          > Maybe try a full path for output of your xml file?
          >
          > The following I have in a bat file (obviously this is for PFM fonts
          but the same should apply for TTF), it's what I use for creating my
          fonts:

          > rem %~dp0 is the expanded pathname of the current script under NT
          > set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=
          > if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0
          > set LIBDIR=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%lib
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%build\fop.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xml-apis.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xalan-2.4.1.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\batik.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\avalon-framework-cvs-
          20020806.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jimi-1.0.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_core.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_codec.jar
          > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\commons-logging-
          1.0.4.jar

          > java -cp "../fop-0.90alpha1/build/fop.jar;../fop-
          0.90alpha1/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;../fop-
          0.90alpha1/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/avalon-
          framework.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/build/lib/xml-apis.jar;../fop-
          0.90alpha1/lib/xercesImpl.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/xalan.jar"
          org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader c:\fog41\ARIAN___.PFM c:\fog41
          \ARIAN___.xml

          > Hope that helps,
          >
          > Ken.

          **

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
            0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90 beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

            The problem you are getting is that it's failing to create it's output file:
            "java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C :\FOP\fop-0.20.5\OCRB.xml"

            C:\FOP\fop-0.20.5>java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework-cvs-
            20020806.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar;lib\xalan-
            2.4.1.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader
            c:\windows\fonts\BR_OCRB.TTF c:\BR_OCRB.XML

            Ken.

            But what I don't understand is that you use the version 0.90 beta for
            make your file? Why?

            I have download this package (0.90) and try to run your bat file but
            that send me another error :

            org/apache/fop/fonts/apps/TTFReader

            and he don't find PFMReader, too.

            Result: no xml file is generate...

            I never have use this version before.The only thinge that I have done
            is unzip the 0.90 version in one folder? Do I have forget to do
            somethings?

            I have the jdk 1.4 installed on my PC so I have try to download: "fop- 0.92beta-bin-jdk1.4.zip" is it right?

            Thanks

            Thierry

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

            > Maybe try a full path for output of your xml file?
            >
            > The following I have in a bat file (obviously this is for PFM fonts
            but the same should apply for TTF), it's what I use for creating my
            fonts:

            > rem %~dp0 is the expanded pathname of the current script under NT set
            > LOCAL_FOP_HOME= if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0
            > set LIBDIR=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%lib
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCAL_FOP_HOME%build\fop.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xml-apis.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\xalan-2.4.1.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\batik.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\avalon-framework-cvs-
            20020806.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jimi-1.0.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_core.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\jai_codec.jar
            > set LOCALCLASSPATH=%LOCALCLASSPATH%;%LIBDIR%\commons-logging-
            1.0.4.jar

            > java -cp "../fop-0.90alpha1/build/fop.jar;../fop-
            0.90alpha1/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;../fop-
            0.90alpha1/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/avalon-
            framework.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/build/lib/xml-apis.jar;../fop-
            0.90alpha1/lib/xercesImpl.jar;../fop-0.90alpha1/lib/xalan.jar"
            org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader c:\fog41\ARIAN___.PFM c:\fog41 \ARIAN___.xml

            > Hope that helps,
            >
            > Ken.

            **

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
              Ken Sands wrote:

              > 0.90 beta is simply the version I have installed at the moment as it meets all my needs (there is some hypenation and wrapping issues in 20.5) - actually thats not quite true it's a modified version of 0.90 beta that I've added optional duplexing to. Anyway the version shouldn't really matter unless there have been changes made to TTFReader from 20.5 - 0.9.

              There wasnt a change to the TTFReader between 0.20.5 and 0.90alpha, but
              there are changes to the TTFReader in more recent FOP code. 0.90alpha is
              quite buggy, 0.20.5 is ancient and limited. Please consider upgrading to
              the latest release 0.92beta or SVN Trunk.

              Chris
            • Ken Sands
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
                if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
                the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
                add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
                I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.

                Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
                perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

                Ken.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                  Ok guy thanks for sharing but my font is really simple and is good
                  convert by the 0.20.5 version I have found the following line to
                  generate my xml file and that works well:

                  java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar;lib\xml-
                  apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\xalan.jar
                  org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader c:\BR_OCRB.TTF OCRB.xml

                  But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
                  do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
                  transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?If yes did Fop
                  0.90Beta have this probleme too?

                  For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
                  have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
                  0.20.5. And unfortunately I didn't have any time for re-write my xsl
                  code one more time.

                  Thanks for all

                  Thierry

                  --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Sands" <kensands@...> wrote:

                  > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd
                  upgrade
                  > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due
                  > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code
                  > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
                  > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
                  >
                  > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make
                  fonts,
                  > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.
                  >
                  > Ken.

                  **

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                    Ken Sands wrote:

                    > Im on 0.90 beta, it's perfectly stable for my current uses, I'd upgrade
                    > if a newer version was twice as fast or something but currently due to
                    > the lack of duplex control support in fop I have to modify the code to
                    > add duplexing whenever I get a new version, thats enough hassle that
                    > I'll be sticking with my 0.90beta for a bit.
                    >
                    > Besides, it's not me with a problem, it's Thierry trying to make fonts,
                    > perhaps he'll have more luck with an update.

                    The upgrade comment was aimed at both of you. But its not compulsory of
                    course, just recommended.

                    What output format are you generating? You can insert Postscript
                    commands into Postscript output using the extension described here:

                    http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

                    This was added after 0.90alpha was released. This means you can tell the
                    printer to print in Duplex, the only other thing its necessary to do is
                    to insert blanks for the reverse side where the content takes up an odd
                    number of pages. This is easily done using the options on the
                    page-sequence element.

                    <snip/>

                    Chris
                  • Ken Sands
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                      I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
                      found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
                      by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
                      in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
                      fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

                      Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                      longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                      interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                      our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                      Ken.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                        Ken Sands wrote:

                        > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and
                        > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was overridden
                        > by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may have been fixed
                        > in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the postscript insert was
                        > fine for other things but the pagesetup section itself was overwritten.

                        Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                        reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                        > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                        > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                        > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                        > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                        Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                      • Ken Sands
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                          I'm sure I reported it about 7-8 months ago when I first came across it,
                          I needed
                          a fix straight away for our systems and didn't expect anyone to jump on
                          it and get a new
                          build out just for me so I sorted it myself, it's not greatly tidy code
                          and as I was in a rush at the time never sorted myself out with an
                          account so that I could submit anything back. It may well have been
                          picked up
                          and fixed after I reported it but it's not easy keeping up with things
                          while having a job to do as I'm sure you can apprieciate.

                          Also I've just realised I'm using 0.91beta not 0.90 it's just built
                          Into the folder where I used to have 0.90 because it saved me having
                          To change the paths I had in a load of scripts.

                          The triangle here is fierce on cost and speed, quality doesn't get a
                          look in!

                          I've just had a quick look at what I did, basically fop would put in the
                          page setup stuff
                          On every page, this caused the printer to throw the page and start a new
                          one even if in duplex mode
                          So I have
                          <ps:ps-setup-code name="duplex"
                          xmlns:ps="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/postscript">
                          <<
                          /Duplex true
                          /PageSize [595 842]
                          /ImagingBBox null
                          >> setpagedevice
                          </ps:ps-setup-code>

                          In my stylesheet for my duplex job

                          And the page setup stuff in fop I have moved from the every page bit to
                          the once only document setup bit
                          I know this prevents useful things like changing orientation or duplex
                          mode part way through but as I said
                          I needed a fix at the time. Infact due to needing one job simplex
                          landscape and one duplex portrait I
                          Built 2 fops for my needs, however it'd be quite easy to make them
                          switch properly, I did have a version
                          Built from 0.90 that did do that, I was just more lazy when I "fixed" up
                          my 0.91 files.

                          The following snippets are all in the fop\render\ps\PSRenderer.java file

                          ******
                          gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_RESOURCES,
                          new Object[] {PSGenerator.ATEND});
                          gen.commentln("%FOPSimplePageMaster: " +
                          page.getSPM().getMasterName());
                          gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.BEGIN_PAGE_SETUP);
                          gen.writeln("[1 0 0 -1 0 841.88898] concat");

                          //Handle PSSetupCode instances on simple-page-master
                          if (page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().size() > 0) {
                          List list = new java.util.ArrayList();
                          //Extract all PSSetupCode instances from the attachment list
                          on the s-p-m
                          Iterator i =
                          page.getSPM().getExtensionAttachments().iterator();
                          while (i.hasNext()) {
                          ExtensionAttachment attachment =
                          (ExtensionAttachment)i.next();
                          if
                          (PSSetupCode.CATEGORY.equals(attachment.getCategory())) {
                          list.add(attachment);
                          }
                          }
                          writeSetupCodeList(list, "PageSetupCode");
                          }
                          *******

                          ******
                          //page setup removed from here, moved to once only section at top

                          //Process page
                          super.renderPage(page);

                          writeln("showpage");
                          gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.PAGE_TRAILER);
                          gen.writeResources(true);
                          gen.writeDSCComment(DSCConstants.END_PAGE);
                          }
                          ******

                          > I did check that out, it never worked, I looked into the java code and

                          > found that the place it would add the postscript commands was
                          > overridden by the defaults fop had in place for the page. This may
                          > have been fixed in the newest version but was an issue in 0.90 the
                          > postscript insert was fine for other things but the pagesetup section
                          > itself was overwritten.

                          Interesting. I will take a closer look at this myself. If you had
                          reported it sooner it would have been fixed by now.

                          > Therefore I sorted out the java code myself to allow simplex/duplex
                          > longedge/shortedge to be controlled from the stlyesheet. If you're
                          > interested I'll dig out the section of code, just not today as one of
                          > our programmers has just zipped off to become a dad leaving me busy!

                          Yes, it would be interesting to see the code when you've got a chance.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          --

                          Scanned by mailCritical.
                          --

                          The DSI Group of Companies
                          International House, Barlow Way,
                          Fairview Industrial Park., Rainham, Essex, RM13 8EW, UK
                          Tel: +44 (0) 1708 523 000
                          Fax: +44 (0) 1708 524 000
                          Email: enquiries@...

                          This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.
                        • J.Pietschmann
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                            virgul4u wrote:
                            > But with this I cant add the option for protect my pdf because if I
                            > do this my pdf make an warning message on open and my font is
                            > transformed to little : "......"? Is it normal?

                            Yes. FOP 0.20.5 can't encrypt PDF documents with non-standard fonts
                            properly.

                            > If yes did Fop 0.90Beta have this probleme too?

                            No, this particular problem has been fixed.

                            > For me, install 0.90 beta for make my pdf is not possible because I
                            > have already try and I have not the same render as I have on the
                            > 0.20.5.

                            Try the latest release, it has most of the elementary bugs fixed
                            (in particular the text alignment issues, except for page numbers).

                            J.Pietschmann