How much space FO code would take

  • Fournier,Danny [NCR]
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17 9:38 AM
      Is there a way to determine how much space (in mm, cm, ect) a snippet of
      FO would take? I need to page a table in a specific order and rows
      taking more than one line is making the output out of synch.

      Any insights would be appreciated.

      Dan

    • arianhojat2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18 6:17 AM
        not sure what u want to do when its going to go over 1 line... but u
        can check for that if you use a monospace font-family
        (font-family="monospace")on that fo:block since all characters are the
        same width.
        so you make the pdf, count up how many chars (including spaces etc)
        fit in one line.

        then set up a condition in your xsl, pretend only 200 chars fit in 1 line.

        <xsl:variable name="maxLength">200</xsl:variable>

        <xsl:variable name="theNodesTextValue" select="thisNode/text()"/>
        <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="string-length($theNodesTextValue) > $maxLength">
        //make the font size on this row smaller? or only output 1st 200
        letters? not sure what consistancy you want.
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>
        //write out the row
        </xsl:otherwise>