Re: Can't get 'space-before' and borders working for a table in FOP 20.9.2

  • arianhojat2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hey Ken,

      Applying margin="0px" seems to work when working with a fo:block with
      a border but not a table with a border. Can you elaborate on why this
      might be so?

      Thanks,
      Arian
    • Horace Burke
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 11, 2006
        Hi all,

        Could you all kind enough to provide me with a list of some competitors to Arbortext E3?

        Thanks in advance for your response!

        Regards,
        Horace

      • dafletcha
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2006
          XXE by XMLmind.com. It fully supports DITA, and has addons for FOP
          0.25, FOP 0.92beta, and XEP 4.0.

          A great product, IMHO.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2006
            At 2006-08-08 20:23 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
            >Applying margin="0px" seems to work when working with a fo:block with
            >a border but not a table with a border. Can you elaborate on why this
            >might be so?

            I finally made the time to review your question,
            which prompted me to look at your original post:

            At 2006-08-08 19:05 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
            >I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
            >margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table. However
            >the space-before doesn't act like how margins usually behave (at least
            >in html). The table's contents get 'pushed' over but the border does
            >not. I thought of a dumb solution of having a dummy 1st column but I
            >dont like that as a 'solution'.
            >
            >Example:
            ><fo:block space-before="50px">
            > <fo:table table-layout="fixed" border="1px solid green">
            > <fo:table-column column-width="280pt"/>
            > <fo:table-column column-width="20pt"/>
            > <fo:table-body>
            > <fo:table-row>
            > <fo:table-cell
            > border="1px solid green">
            ><fo:block>Column1111111111111111111111111</fo:block>
            > </fo:table-cell>
            > <fo:table-cell border="1px solid green">
            > <fo:block>Column2
            > shifted by 50px out of the tables right
            >border</fo:block>
            > </fo:table-cell>
            > </fo:table-row>
            > </fo:table-body>
            ></fo:block>

            I put the above extract through AntennaHouse and
            witnessed no problems with any text going beyond the table's right border.

            I suspect whichever XSL-FO engine you are using
            is not properly trapping the text inside the cell boundary.

            . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

            --
            UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 06-09-25/10-06
          • arianhojat2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
              thanks,
              Ken.

              yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
              forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
              solved :)

              So looks like fop 0.20.5 doesnt know how to do margins for a table well
              or calculate margins within lists... for example, in this pic
              <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Eah49/images/table.jpg> , the table
              within a list should be indented. It's content seems to be but its
              'wrapper' shown by borders does not respect the margins.

              oh well, i guess ill ask the boss for a nicer FOrmatter in our budget
              for next year :).

              Thanks,
              Arian

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                arianhojat2000 wrote:

                > thanks,
                > Ken.
                >
                > yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                > forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                > solved :)

                I can't tell which version of FOP you are actually using there isn't a
                20.9.2 or a 20.9. The current stable releases are: 0.20.5 or 0.92beta

                > So looks like fop 0.20.5 doesnt know how to do margins for a table well

                If you are using 0.20.5 then all I can say is that it is very old and
                full of bugs.

                > or calculate margins within lists... for example, in this pic
                > <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Eah49/images/table.jpg> , the table
                > within a list should be indented. It's content seems to be but its
                > 'wrapper' shown by borders does not respect the margins.
                >
                > oh well, i guess ill ask the boss for a nicer FOrmatter in our budget
                > for next year :).

                Please try 0.92beta as its much better at managing indentation across
                lists and tables.

                <snip/>

                Chris
              • arianhojat2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                  --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@...> wrote:

                  > arianhojat2000 wrote:
                  >
                  > > thanks,
                  > > Ken.
                  > >
                  > > yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                  > > forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                  > > solved :)
                  >
                  > I can't tell which version of FOP you are actually using there isn't a
                  > 20.9.2 or a 20.9. The current stable releases are: 0.20.5 or 0.92beta

                  yeh sorry about that, getting 0.92 and 0.20.5 confused :)

                  yup maybe ill take the leap and try .92 beta,
                  again thanx to all who responded.
                  Lates,
                  Arian