Re: [XSL-FO] Can't get 'space-before' and borders working for a table in FOP 20.9.2

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
      At 2006-08-08 15:17 -0400, I wrote:
      >At 2006-08-08 19:05 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
      > >I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
      > >margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table.
      >
      >Actually space-start= is used for inline
      >constructs, but not for block constructs.

      Sorry for not spelling this out in
      detail: margin-left is *like* space-start, not
      *like* space-before, but unlike margin-left,
      which does apply to block-level constructs,
      space-start does not. There are other nuances, I
      just wanted to clarify my brief statement.

      I hope this helps.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

      --
      UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 06-09-25/10-06
    • arianhojat2000
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
        Hey Ken,

        Applying margin="0px" seems to work when working with a fo:block with
        a border but not a table with a border. Can you elaborate on why this
        might be so?

        Thanks,
        Arian
      • Horace Burke
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2006
          Hi all,

          Could you all kind enough to provide me with a list of some competitors to Arbortext E3?

          Thanks in advance for your response!

          Regards,
          Horace

        • dafletcha
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11, 2006
            XXE by XMLmind.com. It fully supports DITA, and has addons for FOP
            0.25, FOP 0.92beta, and XEP 4.0.

            A great product, IMHO.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2006
              At 2006-08-08 20:23 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
              >Applying margin="0px" seems to work when working with a fo:block with
              >a border but not a table with a border. Can you elaborate on why this
              >might be so?

              I finally made the time to review your question,
              which prompted me to look at your original post:

              At 2006-08-08 19:05 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
              >I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
              >margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table. However
              >the space-before doesn't act like how margins usually behave (at least
              >in html). The table's contents get 'pushed' over but the border does
              >not. I thought of a dumb solution of having a dummy 1st column but I
              >dont like that as a 'solution'.
              >
              >Example:
              ><fo:block space-before="50px">
              > <fo:table table-layout="fixed" border="1px solid green">
              > <fo:table-column column-width="280pt"/>
              > <fo:table-column column-width="20pt"/>
              > <fo:table-body>
              > <fo:table-row>
              > <fo:table-cell
              > border="1px solid green">
              ><fo:block>Column1111111111111111111111111</fo:block>
              > </fo:table-cell>
              > <fo:table-cell border="1px solid green">
              > <fo:block>Column2
              > shifted by 50px out of the tables right
              >border</fo:block>
              > </fo:table-cell>
              > </fo:table-row>
              > </fo:table-body>
              ></fo:block>

              I put the above extract through AntennaHouse and
              witnessed no problems with any text going beyond the table's right border.

              I suspect whichever XSL-FO engine you are using
              is not properly trapping the text inside the cell boundary.

              . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                thanks,
                Ken.

                yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                solved :)

                So looks like fop 0.20.5 doesnt know how to do margins for a table well
                or calculate margins within lists... for example, in this pic
                <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Eah49/images/table.jpg> , the table
                within a list should be indented. It's content seems to be but its
                'wrapper' shown by borders does not respect the margins.

                oh well, i guess ill ask the boss for a nicer FOrmatter in our budget
                for next year :).

                Thanks,
                Arian

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                  arianhojat2000 wrote:

                  > thanks,
                  > Ken.
                  >
                  > yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                  > forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                  > solved :)

                  I can't tell which version of FOP you are actually using there isn't a
                  20.9.2 or a 20.9. The current stable releases are: 0.20.5 or 0.92beta

                  > So looks like fop 0.20.5 doesnt know how to do margins for a table well

                  If you are using 0.20.5 then all I can say is that it is very old and
                  full of bugs.

                  > or calculate margins within lists... for example, in this pic
                  > <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Eah49/images/table.jpg> , the table
                  > within a list should be indented. It's content seems to be but its
                  > 'wrapper' shown by borders does not respect the margins.
                  >
                  > oh well, i guess ill ask the boss for a nicer FOrmatter in our budget
                  > for next year :).

                  Please try 0.92beta as its much better at managing indentation across
                  lists and tables.

                  <snip/>

                  Chris
                • arianhojat2000
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                    --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@...> wrote:

                    > arianhojat2000 wrote:
                    >
                    > > thanks,
                    > > Ken.
                    > >
                    > > yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                    > > forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                    > > solved :)
                    >
                    > I can't tell which version of FOP you are actually using there isn't a
                    > 20.9.2 or a 20.9. The current stable releases are: 0.20.5 or 0.92beta

                    yeh sorry about that, getting 0.92 and 0.20.5 confused :)

                    yup maybe ill take the leap and try .92 beta,
                    again thanx to all who responded.
                    Lates,
                    Arian