Can't get 'space-before' and borders working for a table in FOP 20.9.2

  • arianhojat2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
      I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
      margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table. However
      the space-before doesn't act like how margins usually behave (at least
      in html). The table's contents get 'pushed' over but the border does
      not. I thought of a dumb solution of having a dummy 1st column but I
      dont like that as a 'solution'.

      Example:
      <fo:block space-before="50px">
      <fo:table table-layout="fixed" border="1px solid green">
      <fo:table-column column-width="280pt"/>
      <fo:table-column column-width="20pt"/>
      <fo:table-body>
      <fo:table-row>
      <fo:table-cell border="1px solid green">
      <fo:block>Column1111111111111111111111111</fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>
      <fo:table-cell border="1px solid green">
      <fo:block>Column2 shifted by 50px out of the tables right
      border</fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>
      </fo:table-row>
      </fo:table-body>
      </fo:block>
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
        At 2006-08-08 19:05 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
        >I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
        >margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table.

        Actually space-start= is used for inline
        constructs, but not for block constructs.

        >However
        >the space-before doesn't act like how margins usually behave (at least
        >in html). The table's contents get 'pushed' over but the border does
        >not.

        Right ... because this is a publishing convention.

        In order to mimic the web environment, add
        margin="0pt". Without this *specified*, the
        start-indent= takes precedence and the border
        moves outside of the area. With this, the
        *specified* margin= takes precedence.

        See section "5.3.2 Margin, Space, and Indent
        Properties" for a summary of the arithmetic involved.

        So, there is a difference between:

        <block border="solid 1pt" padding="20pt">
        Border outside of area for publishing behaviour
        </block>

        and

        <block border="solid 1pt" padding="20pt" margin="0pt">
        Border inside of area for web-like behaviour
        </block>

        I hope this helps.

        . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

        --
        UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 06-09-25/10-06
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
          At 2006-08-08 15:17 -0400, I wrote:
          >At 2006-08-08 19:05 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
          > >I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
          > >margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table.
          >
          >Actually space-start= is used for inline
          >constructs, but not for block constructs.

          Sorry for not spelling this out in
          detail: margin-left is *like* space-start, not
          *like* space-before, but unlike margin-left,
          which does apply to block-level constructs,
          space-start does not. There are other nuances, I
          just wanted to clarify my brief statement.

          I hope this helps.

          . . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2006
            Hey Ken,

            Applying margin="0px" seems to work when working with a fo:block with
            a border but not a table with a border. Can you elaborate on why this
            might be so?

            Thanks,
            Arian
          • Horace Burke
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11, 2006
              Hi all,

              Could you all kind enough to provide me with a list of some competitors to Arbortext E3?

              Thanks in advance for your response!

              Regards,
              Horace

            • dafletcha
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 11, 2006
                XXE by XMLmind.com. It fully supports DITA, and has addons for FOP
                0.25, FOP 0.92beta, and XEP 4.0.

                A great product, IMHO.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 15, 2006
                  At 2006-08-08 20:23 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
                  >Applying margin="0px" seems to work when working with a fo:block with
                  >a border but not a table with a border. Can you elaborate on why this
                  >might be so?

                  I finally made the time to review your question,
                  which prompted me to look at your original post:

                  At 2006-08-08 19:05 +0000, arianhojat2000 wrote:
                  >I am using space-before (I think cause I read somewhere
                  >margin-left=space-before in XSL-FO) and borders on a table. However
                  >the space-before doesn't act like how margins usually behave (at least
                  >in html). The table's contents get 'pushed' over but the border does
                  >not. I thought of a dumb solution of having a dummy 1st column but I
                  >dont like that as a 'solution'.
                  >
                  >Example:
                  ><fo:block space-before="50px">
                  > <fo:table table-layout="fixed" border="1px solid green">
                  > <fo:table-column column-width="280pt"/>
                  > <fo:table-column column-width="20pt"/>
                  > <fo:table-body>
                  > <fo:table-row>
                  > <fo:table-cell
                  > border="1px solid green">
                  ><fo:block>Column1111111111111111111111111</fo:block>
                  > </fo:table-cell>
                  > <fo:table-cell border="1px solid green">
                  > <fo:block>Column2
                  > shifted by 50px out of the tables right
                  >border</fo:block>
                  > </fo:table-cell>
                  > </fo:table-row>
                  > </fo:table-body>
                  ></fo:block>

                  I put the above extract through AntennaHouse and
                  witnessed no problems with any text going beyond the table's right border.

                  I suspect whichever XSL-FO engine you are using
                  is not properly trapping the text inside the cell boundary.

                  . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                    thanks,
                    Ken.

                    yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                    forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                    solved :)

                    So looks like fop 0.20.5 doesnt know how to do margins for a table well
                    or calculate margins within lists... for example, in this pic
                    <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Eah49/images/table.jpg> , the table
                    within a list should be indented. It's content seems to be but its
                    'wrapper' shown by borders does not respect the margins.

                    oh well, i guess ill ask the boss for a nicer FOrmatter in our budget
                    for next year :).

                    Thanks,
                    Arian

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                      arianhojat2000 wrote:

                      > thanks,
                      > Ken.
                      >
                      > yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                      > forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                      > solved :)

                      I can't tell which version of FOP you are actually using there isn't a
                      20.9.2 or a 20.9. The current stable releases are: 0.20.5 or 0.92beta

                      > So looks like fop 0.20.5 doesnt know how to do margins for a table well

                      If you are using 0.20.5 then all I can say is that it is very old and
                      full of bugs.

                      > or calculate margins within lists... for example, in this pic
                      > <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Eah49/images/table.jpg> , the table
                      > within a list should be indented. It's content seems to be but its
                      > 'wrapper' shown by borders does not respect the margins.
                      >
                      > oh well, i guess ill ask the boss for a nicer FOrmatter in our budget
                      > for next year :).

                      Please try 0.92beta as its much better at managing indentation across
                      lists and tables.

                      <snip/>

                      Chris
                    • arianhojat2000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2006
                        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@...> wrote:

                        > arianhojat2000 wrote:
                        >
                        > > thanks,
                        > > Ken.
                        > >
                        > > yeh i think i have had trouble before with fop 20.9 as searching the
                        > > forums brings this same question from me a while back which i never
                        > > solved :)
                        >
                        > I can't tell which version of FOP you are actually using there isn't a
                        > 20.9.2 or a 20.9. The current stable releases are: 0.20.5 or 0.92beta

                        yeh sorry about that, getting 0.92 and 0.20.5 confused :)

                        yup maybe ill take the leap and try .92 beta,
                        again thanx to all who responded.
                        Lates,
                        Arian