Re: [XSL-FO] flowing text around a shape

  • ekimber
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2006
      Steve Pruitt wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > I am trying to determine how to specify making text flow around a shape,
      > like a circle. I don't have a specific flow order scenario, I only
      > trying to understand the how-to's and constraints to do so.

      There is no automatic way to do this in XSL-FO--the best you can do is
      flow text around two sides of a box using side floats.

      With care you might be able to simulate it by using side floats, one per
      line of text, to move the text out of the way of the shape and then use
      an absolutely-positioned block container to overlay the shape where
      you've created a void in the text, but I can't imagine this could be
      done automatically, at least not without a lot of effort.

      In theory if a composition engine allowed intermixing of XSL-FO and SVG
      constructs you could do it with SVG but I don't know if any tool that
      currently does that.

      Cheers,

      Eliot

      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      ekimber@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com
    • ekimber
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2006
        Steve Pruitt wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > I am trying to determine how to specify making text flow around a shape,
        > like a circle. I don't have a specific flow order scenario, I only
        > trying to understand the how-to's and constraints to do so.

        It just occurs to me that with XSL 1.1 you could do it by having a
        sequence of one-line-high body regions that go around the shape,
        connected using a flow map. It would be tedious to code but it should
        work. It would require a separate page master just for that page, which
        implies a very specialized page sequence to use the master (unless it's
        a repeating style element like an article opener or something).

        Hmmm. Now that I think about it, it should be possible to achieve a
        number of graphical layout effects using this approach that are not
        possible in 1.0.

        Hmmm.

        Cheers,

        Eliot