float to top of column?

  • Bob Stayton
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2006
      Is a "before" float always full page width? In a two-column layout, does a
      "before" float always span both columns? It seems to.

      Is there any way to float a single-column figure to the next column if it
      doesn't fit, backfilling the text? But leaving it in place if it does fit?

      Bob Stayton
      Sagehill Enterprises
      DocBook Consulting
      bobs@...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2006
        At 2006-05-16 12:20 -0700, you wrote:
        >Is a "before" float always full page width?

        Yes.

        >In a two-column layout, does a "before" float always span both
        >columns? It seems to.

        Yes. The before-float-reference-area is above the
        main-reference-area and columns are rendered only in the main-reference-area.

        >Is there any way to float a single-column figure to the next column if it
        >doesn't fit, backfilling the text? But leaving it in place if it does fit?

        Not in XSL-FO 1.0 and I don't believe in XSL-FO 1.1 yet (at least I
        haven't seen it) ... I don't think this aspect of the geometry would
        have changed.

        . . . . . . . . . . Ken
      • ekimber
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2006
          G. Ken Holman wrote:
          >> Is there any way to float a single-column figure to the next column if it
          >> doesn't fit, backfilling the text? But leaving it in place if it does fit?
          >
          > Not in XSL-FO 1.0 and I don't believe in XSL-FO 1.1 yet (at least I
          > haven't seen it) ... I don't think this aspect of the geometry would
          > have changed.

          This has not changed in FO 1.1. If you don't need to span columns, you
          could do in 1.1 by using a flow map and multiple body regions in place
          of the columns in a single region, but that's probably too limited for
          most applications.

          Cheers,

          Eliot

          --