Re: [XSL-FO] custom declaration reference

  • Joe Moore
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15 10:55 AM
      Ok. That's more information, but its still a little vague to me.
      I'll restate and let me know if I've got it.

      You have your own formatting language, similiar to XSL.
      You have your own software that renders this into some other format.
      You want to be able to transform your current XML formatting language into XSL-FO.

      Is that correct?

      Joe Moore
      i_bugsy@...

      Message 2 of 10 , May 15 11:31 AM
        Yes. Basically. The usage is for importing and exporting to and from
        one document-editing format to our internal document-editing format.
        When we produce XSL, may not necessarily be for import into a different
        editor, it may go to XSL rendering engine.

        I know the ideal is maintaining a document in some basic, normalized
        form and transform it to a desired format and I would like to work
        toward that goal. For now, I need to "burn out" the custom tags used in
        our serializing functions and replace them with XSL-FO tags. However, I
        have a few, well so far, one tag that has no obvious XSL-FO analog, so I
        need to retain it as a custom tag (different namespace) and then
        reference it.

        Import / Export across document development environments may not be a
        XSL-FO use case, but for this first phase I am constrained to use it as
        such. There is a lot of tag overlap in XSL-FO and what we need.

        Thanks for patience and help.

        -S

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , May 16 7:45 AM
          I'm still trying to understand your use case here. XSL-FO is not an XML aplication for importing or exporting data - its a formatting application.

          Typically you have data in XML format. Then when you export it, you'd have a stylesheet to transform it into an XML format that the receiving group is expecting. You'd do the same for importing. Then when you want to print it, you'd generate an XSL-FO instance.

          So if you are using XSL-FO as a data storage application, you are not using it for what it was designed to do.

          Joe Moore
          i_bugsy@...

          Message 4 of 10 , May 16 8:45 AM
            I understand and I am moving toward what XSL is designed for. As an
            intermediate step, I need to some things as described. Next, I intend
            to do as you say. From what I can gather, non fo namespace artifacts
            will be benignly ignored by fo processors, which is ok. No, more than
            ok, its desired.

            -S