Re: [XSL-FO] custom declaration reference

  • Joe Moore
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13 9:46 AM
      Hey Steve,

      Your example should work, but as Ken pointed out the XSL-FO engine will just ignore those elements because the XSL-FO engine only understands FO elements. Unless the XSL-FO engine supports some external namespace, like rendering SVG graphics, but that is depends on what other namespaces the XSL-FO engine supports.

      Typically you would use your elements and namespace in your instance document and then use a stylesheet to transform your instance document into an XSL-FO instance document.

      So if you wanted <mynamespace:para>....</mynamespace:para> to be rendered in red text then you would want the resultant FO to look like:

      <fo:block font-color='red'>....</fo:block>

      Please give us a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish and we can help direct you a little bit better.

      Regards,

      Joe Moore
      i_bugsy@...

      Message 2 of 10 , May 15 9:59 AM
        Ok. We have an old, xml-based content format language we use to import
        and export between one of our applications and other third-party
        applications. We supply the third-party plug-in, so we are in control
        at both ends of the import / export process. Our legacy format language
        is a hybrid, its largely based on XSL; but several custom tags have been
        mixed in. This language predates my involvement, but I believe the idea
        was to stay close to XSL as possible for when the day arrived when XSL
        compliance was deemed something to do. That day has arrived and I am
        the chosen one.

        Many if not all of the custom tags can be mapped to XSL tags, or wrapped
        with a instream-foreign-object tag. However, there is one tag that has
        no XSL analog. By its nature it is something I would put in a
        declaration. Te tag involves tab settings. In coming up to speed on
        XSL, I read the declarations tag content model can contain tags not in
        the fo namespace. Great. But I need to reference the declaration by
        identifier in the page-sequence.

        It is ok if a XSL engine ignores either the declaration or the
        attribute. They have have no XSL semantics anyway, at least as far as I
        can tell. Perhaps this is bad form and perhaps not how XSL was
        intended. But, XSL defines everything we need. And, we certainly will
        use XSL in conjunction with a rendering engine at some point.and we want
        to be XSL compliant. So we are trying leverage XSL as much as possible.

        I hope this helps.

        -S

        ________________________________

        I need to define a non-XSL declaration. Something in my own namespace.
        My question is how to reference the declaration, or can you? Ideally, I
        need to reference the declaration at a page-sequence, but I cannot find
        anything in the spec on how to do so. Can non-XSL namespace attributes
        be used and still maintain conformance?

        -Steve Pruitt

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.
        Service.

        " on the web.

        Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.
        Service.

        Xml xsl
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
        &w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=nQyucmzHZTFabbxIL2tPCg>
        Xsl
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
        Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=7fohGsxJNiPAPIoKmhHyTA> Xsl fo
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
        w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=PyLPnVoz27HmZ--HyTdjKg>
        Xsl-fo
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl-fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
        w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=l2D2NGhyt78iSa_bkS8yHQ>
        Xsl tutorial
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
        sl+fo&w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=eZ-77wKwYFvwS2WUnhrvHQ>

        " on the web.

      • Joe Moore
        Message 3 of 10 , May 15 10:55 AM
          Ok. That's more information, but its still a little vague to me.
          I'll restate and let me know if I've got it.

          You have your own formatting language, similiar to XSL.
          You have your own software that renders this into some other format.
          You want to be able to transform your current XML formatting language into XSL-FO.

          Is that correct?

          Joe Moore
          i_bugsy@...

          Message 4 of 10 , May 15 11:31 AM
            Yes. Basically. The usage is for importing and exporting to and from
            one document-editing format to our internal document-editing format.
            When we produce XSL, may not necessarily be for import into a different
            editor, it may go to XSL rendering engine.

            I know the ideal is maintaining a document in some basic, normalized
            form and transform it to a desired format and I would like to work
            toward that goal. For now, I need to "burn out" the custom tags used in
            our serializing functions and replace them with XSL-FO tags. However, I
            have a few, well so far, one tag that has no obvious XSL-FO analog, so I
            need to retain it as a custom tag (different namespace) and then
            reference it.

            Import / Export across document development environments may not be a
            XSL-FO use case, but for this first phase I am constrained to use it as
            such. There is a lot of tag overlap in XSL-FO and what we need.

            Thanks for patience and help.

            -S

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , May 16 7:45 AM
              I'm still trying to understand your use case here. XSL-FO is not an XML aplication for importing or exporting data - its a formatting application.

              Typically you have data in XML format. Then when you export it, you'd have a stylesheet to transform it into an XML format that the receiving group is expecting. You'd do the same for importing. Then when you want to print it, you'd generate an XSL-FO instance.

              So if you are using XSL-FO as a data storage application, you are not using it for what it was designed to do.

              Joe Moore
              i_bugsy@...

              Message 6 of 10 , May 16 8:45 AM
                I understand and I am moving toward what XSL is designed for. As an
                intermediate step, I need to some things as described. Next, I intend
                to do as you say. From what I can gather, non fo namespace artifacts
                will be benignly ignored by fo processors, which is ok. No, more than
                ok, its desired.

                -S