custom declaration reference

  • Steve Pruitt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12, 2006
      All,

      I need to define a non-XSL declaration. Something in my own namespace.
      My question is how to reference the declaration, or can you? Ideally, I
      need to reference the declaration at a page-sequence, but I cannot find
      anything in the spec on how to do so. Can non-XSL namespace attributes
      be used and still maintain conformance?

      -Steve Pruitt

    • Joe Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2006
        I'm not sure what you mean, or what you are trying to do, but you can always add a namespace declaration in the element you want to use it in. Usually you place it in the root element so that it then becomes available throughout your FO instance.

        So, for example,

        <fo:root
        xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
        xmlns:myspace="http://myspace.example.org">

        then you can use the myspace name in the elements/attributes you want to reference/use:

        <myspace:element/>

        HTH,

        Joe Moore
        i_bugsy@...

        I need to define a non-XSL declaration. Something in my own namespace.
        My question is how to reference the declaration, or can you? Ideally, I
        need to reference the declaration at a page-sequence, but I cannot find
        anything in the spec on how to do so. Can non-XSL namespace attributes
        be used and still maintain conformance?

        -Steve Pruitt

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.

      • Steve Pruitt
        Message 3 of 10 , May 12, 2006
          Sorry, I wasn't vey clear. What I am asking is how to reference a non
          fo declaration in a fo tag.

          Here is my scenario.

          <fo:root
          xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format
          <http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format> "
          xmlns:myspace="http://myspace.example.org
          <http://myspace.example.org> ">

          <fo:declarations>
          :
          :
          <myspace:mydeclaration id="dec1">
          :
          :
          </myspace:mydeclaration>
          </fo:declarations>
          :
          <fo:page-sequence .... myspace:aDeclaration="dec1">
          :
          :
          </fo:page-sequence>
          :
          </fo:root>

          Is this how you do this? What is a better way?

          Thanks,

          -S

          ________________________________

          I need to define a non-XSL declaration. Something in my own namespace.
          My question is how to reference the declaration, or can you? Ideally, I
          need to reference the declaration at a page-sequence, but I cannot find
          anything in the spec on how to do so. Can non-XSL namespace attributes
          be used and still maintain conformance?

          -Steve Pruitt

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.
          Service.

          " on the web.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 12, 2006
            At 2006-05-12 16:14 -0400, Steve Pruitt wrote:
            >Sorry, I wasn't vey clear. What I am asking is how to reference a non
            >fo declaration in a fo tag.

            That still isn't clear. What is your purpose in doing so?

            We cannot answer your question completely without knowing the
            objective of what you are doing because you are using words that make
            sense, but not in an XSL-FO context.

            >Here is my scenario.
            >
            ><fo:root
            > xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format
            ><http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format> "
            > xmlns:myspace="http://myspace.example.org
            ><http://myspace.example.org> ">
            >
            > <fo:declarations>
            > :
            > :
            > <myspace:mydeclaration id="dec1">
            > :
            > :
            > </myspace:mydeclaration>
            > </fo:declarations>
            > :
            > <fo:page-sequence .... myspace:aDeclaration="dec1">
            > :
            > :
            > </fo:page-sequence>
            > :
            ></fo:root>
            >

            >Is this how you do this?

            Do what? What is your objective?

            Your proposed syntax above will not throw any errors with a
            conforming XSL-FO engine because XSL-FO tolerates the presence of
            foreign namespaces, but by definition does nothing with them.

            >What is a better way?

            A better way to achieve what effect? XSL-FO is defined to ignore
            your use of private namespaces, thus tolerating their presence in an instance.

            In my UBL work I annotate XSL-FO instances with my own namespaces
            very effectively and, thankfully, conforming XSL-FO processors ignore
            my annotations.

            If all you want to do is annotate your XSL-FO instance as in your
            example above, then your use of namespaces will not produce any
            problems with a conforming processor ... nor will it influence the
            conforming processor in any fashion.

            BTW, there is a nuance in what you are doing that may be a problem
            with some processors but I cannot tell definitively from your sparse
            example: <declarations> is the home for document-wide globals, which
            in XSL-FO 1.0 and 1.1 is only <color-profile> elements. The
            specification section 6.4.3 states that <declarations> must have 1 or
            more <color-profile> children ... for extensibility I'm not sure why
            the cardinality is 1 or more since I might want to do what you are
            doing by putting my own constructs there in the <declarations> but
            not have any color profiles. But not all processors report such
            content model validations.

            So, in fact, some processors may reject your example above if you do
            not have any <fo:color-profile> children to your <fo:declarations>
            element (you don't indicate above if you do or you do not).

            Can someone on the committee comment on why the cardinality is "1 or
            more"? If it were "0 or more" then I could choose to use the
            <declarations> element as a home for private global annotations much
            like Steve is doing but without the need for a <color-profile> child.

            I hope this helps.

            . . . . . . . . . . Ken

            --
            Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
            Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04
            Message 5 of 10 , May 13, 2006
              Hey Steve,

              Your example should work, but as Ken pointed out the XSL-FO engine will just ignore those elements because the XSL-FO engine only understands FO elements. Unless the XSL-FO engine supports some external namespace, like rendering SVG graphics, but that is depends on what other namespaces the XSL-FO engine supports.

              Typically you would use your elements and namespace in your instance document and then use a stylesheet to transform your instance document into an XSL-FO instance document.

              So if you wanted <mynamespace:para>....</mynamespace:para> to be rendered in red text then you would want the resultant FO to look like:

              <fo:block font-color='red'>....</fo:block>

              Please give us a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish and we can help direct you a little bit better.

              Regards,

              Joe Moore
              i_bugsy@...

              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                Ok. We have an old, xml-based content format language we use to import
                and export between one of our applications and other third-party
                applications. We supply the third-party plug-in, so we are in control
                at both ends of the import / export process. Our legacy format language
                is a hybrid, its largely based on XSL; but several custom tags have been
                mixed in. This language predates my involvement, but I believe the idea
                was to stay close to XSL as possible for when the day arrived when XSL
                compliance was deemed something to do. That day has arrived and I am
                the chosen one.

                Many if not all of the custom tags can be mapped to XSL tags, or wrapped
                with a instream-foreign-object tag. However, there is one tag that has
                no XSL analog. By its nature it is something I would put in a
                declaration. Te tag involves tab settings. In coming up to speed on
                XSL, I read the declarations tag content model can contain tags not in
                the fo namespace. Great. But I need to reference the declaration by
                identifier in the page-sequence.

                It is ok if a XSL engine ignores either the declaration or the
                attribute. They have have no XSL semantics anyway, at least as far as I
                can tell. Perhaps this is bad form and perhaps not how XSL was
                intended. But, XSL defines everything we need. And, we certainly will
                use XSL in conjunction with a rendering engine at some point.and we want
                to be XSL compliant. So we are trying leverage XSL as much as possible.

                I hope this helps.

                -S

                ________________________________

                I need to define a non-XSL declaration. Something in my own namespace.
                My question is how to reference the declaration, or can you? Ideally, I
                need to reference the declaration at a page-sequence, but I cannot find
                anything in the spec on how to do so. Can non-XSL namespace attributes
                be used and still maintain conformance?

                -Steve Pruitt

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.
                Service.

                " on the web.

                Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.
                Service.

                Xml xsl
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
                &w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=nQyucmzHZTFabbxIL2tPCg>
                Xsl
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
                Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=7fohGsxJNiPAPIoKmhHyTA> Xsl fo
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
                w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=PyLPnVoz27HmZ--HyTdjKg>
                Xsl-fo
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl-fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
                w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=l2D2NGhyt78iSa_bkS8yHQ>
                Xsl tutorial
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
                sl+fo&w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=eZ-77wKwYFvwS2WUnhrvHQ>

                " on the web.

              • Joe Moore
                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                  Ok. That's more information, but its still a little vague to me.
                  I'll restate and let me know if I've got it.

                  You have your own formatting language, similiar to XSL.
                  You have your own software that renders this into some other format.
                  You want to be able to transform your current XML formatting language into XSL-FO.

                  Is that correct?

                  Joe Moore
                  i_bugsy@...

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                    Yes. Basically. The usage is for importing and exporting to and from
                    one document-editing format to our internal document-editing format.
                    When we produce XSL, may not necessarily be for import into a different
                    editor, it may go to XSL rendering engine.

                    I know the ideal is maintaining a document in some basic, normalized
                    form and transform it to a desired format and I would like to work
                    toward that goal. For now, I need to "burn out" the custom tags used in
                    our serializing functions and replace them with XSL-FO tags. However, I
                    have a few, well so far, one tag that has no obvious XSL-FO analog, so I
                    need to retain it as a custom tag (different namespace) and then
                    reference it.

                    Import / Export across document development environments may not be a
                    XSL-FO use case, but for this first phase I am constrained to use it as
                    such. There is a lot of tag overlap in XSL-FO and what we need.

                    Thanks for patience and help.

                    -S

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 16, 2006
                      I'm still trying to understand your use case here. XSL-FO is not an XML aplication for importing or exporting data - its a formatting application.

                      Typically you have data in XML format. Then when you export it, you'd have a stylesheet to transform it into an XML format that the receiving group is expecting. You'd do the same for importing. Then when you want to print it, you'd generate an XSL-FO instance.

                      So if you are using XSL-FO as a data storage application, you are not using it for what it was designed to do.

                      Joe Moore
                      i_bugsy@...

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 16, 2006
                        I understand and I am moving toward what XSL is designed for. As an
                        intermediate step, I need to some things as described. Next, I intend
                        to do as you say. From what I can gather, non fo namespace artifacts
                        will be benignly ignored by fo processors, which is ok. No, more than
                        ok, its desired.

                        -S