Schema definition

  • Steve Pruitt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Does anyone know where a W3 Schema definition for XSL can be found? I
      have searched, but cannot find anything satisfactory.

      -Steve Pruitt

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        At 2006-05-01 12:51 -0400, Steve Pruitt wrote:
        >Does anyone know where a W3 Schema definition for XSL can be found? I
        >have searched, but cannot find anything satisfactory.

        There is no official schema (and while I've seen unofficial DTDs and
        I've heard of an unofficial RELAX-NG schema, I haven't heard of a W3C Schema).

        While RELAX-NG is rich enough to express the constraints of the
        vocabulary, neither DTD nor W3C Schema are powerful enough. Just for
        example, the <basic-link> element has either an internal-destination=
        or external-destination= attribute ... not neither and not both. You
        can say that in RELAX-NG-speak, but not in DTD-speak nor XSD-speak.

        Why do you think you need it? Processors can be validating the
        content as they work on it if they wish ... it is their
        responsibility to detect errors.

        I hope this helps.

        . . . . . . . . Ken

        --
        Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
        Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2006
          I have a project where I am working on a schema that needs to reference
          an XSL schema.
          I have been referred to:

          http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/foschema/fop.x
          sd

          which on the surface appears to do the trick.

          -S

          ________________________________

          At 2006-05-01 12:51 -0400, Steve Pruitt wrote:
          >Does anyone know where a W3 Schema definition for XSL can be found? I
          >have searched, but cannot find anything satisfactory.

          There is no official schema (and while I've seen unofficial DTDs and
          I've heard of an unofficial RELAX-NG schema, I haven't heard of a W3C
          Schema).

          While RELAX-NG is rich enough to express the constraints of the
          vocabulary, neither DTD nor W3C Schema are powerful enough. Just for
          example, the <basic-link> element has either an internal-destination=
          or external-destination= attribute ... not neither and not both. You
          can say that in RELAX-NG-speak, but not in DTD-speak nor XSD-speak.

          Why do you think you need it? Processors can be validating the
          content as they work on it if they wish ... it is their
          responsibility to detect errors.

          I hope this helps.

          . . . . . . . . Ken

          --
          Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
          Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04
          Also for XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training:Birmingham,England 2006-05-22/25
          Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Copenhagen,Denmark 2006-05-08/11

          Xml xsl
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
          &w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=nQyucmzHZTFabbxIL2tPCg>
          Xsl
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
          Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=7fohGsxJNiPAPIoKmhHyTA> Xsl fo
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
          w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=PyLPnVoz27HmZ--HyTdjKg>
          Xsl-fo
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl-fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
          w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=l2D2NGhyt78iSa_bkS8yHQ>
          Xsl tutorial
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
          sl+fo&w4=Xsl-fo&w5=Xsl+tutorial&c=5&s=64&.sig=eZ-77wKwYFvwS2WUnhrvHQ>

          " on the web.