Can anyone tell me - How to write a schema for this simple xml.

  • touchlenin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
      Hello Everyone,

      I have a simple xml file.

      <article>
      <item>
      <journalid>....</journaldid>
      <bk:identity>....</bk:identity>
      <ab:date>....</ab:date>
      </item>
      </article>

      Can anyone tell me how do i declare an element in the schema (ie.,
      in an xsd file) with a namespace prefixed element like (ab:date or
      bk:identity shown in the xml above)

      It seems to throw some errors when given a syntax like, the one below

      <xsd:element name="ab:date" type="xsd:string"/>

      with the namespace decleration for "ab" and "bk" on top of the root
      element in the schema file.

      Any advice or suggestions on how to write this is always welcome.

      With Regards,
      Lenin.
    • Mike Ferrando
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
        You can get a basic Schema or DTD at this URL by file upload or by
        url.

        http://www.hitsw.com/xml_utilites/

        There are limitations to doing this (only simple entities, doctype
        system identifier has to be located at an url).

        When I use it I comment out the DOCTYPE statement.

        You could use the XHTML strict schema as a model. If you know XHTML
        well (the dtd) then this could be a good example for you.

        Mike Ferrando
        Library Technician
        Library of Congress
        Washington, DC
        202-707-4454

        --- touchlenin <leninkannan@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I have a simple xml file.
        >
        > <article>
        > <item>
        > <journalid>....</journaldid>
        > <bk:identity>....</bk:identity>
        > <ab:date>....</ab:date>
        > </item>
        > </article>
        >

        > Can anyone tell me how do i declare an element in the schema (ie.,
        > in an xsd file) with a namespace prefixed element like (ab:date or
        > bk:identity shown in the xml above)
        >
        > It seems to throw some errors when given a syntax like, the one
        > below
        >
        > <xsd:element name="ab:date" type="xsd:string"/>
        >
        > with the namespace decleration for "ab" and "bk" on top of the root
        >
        > element in the schema file.
        >

        > Any advice or suggestions on how to write this is always welcome.
        >

        > With Regards,
        > Lenin.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • J.Pietschmann
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
          touchlenin wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me how do i declare an element in the schema (ie.,
          > in an xsd file) with a namespace prefixed element like (ab:date or
          > bk:identity shown in the xml above)

          A single XSD can only define elements for a single namespace. If you
          have several namespaces, you have to write two different schemas.

          There is a list specifically dedicated to XSchema, you should ask
          there for more help.

          J.Pietschmann