Re: Commercial processors

  • Altsoft Xml2PDF
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
      Starting from 3.0 beta, Altsoft Xml2PDF engine formats huge FO-files
      without any problems. The speed and memory usage are good enough in
      comparison with the products you mentioned.

      Just visit the 3.0 beta page and check it out:

      http://alt-soft.com/products_xml2pdf_v3b.jsp

      If you need a test suite on large complex FO-files please e-mail us
      to support@...

      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn McKenzie" <smckenzie23@...>
      wrote:

      > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
      > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
      > solution for print.
      >
      > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
      > options for professional print output were the Antenna House
      processor
      > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
      > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
      >
      > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
      > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
      > reevaluate.
      >
      > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
      > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the
      group.

      > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
      > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
      > PDF bookmarks?
      > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
      >
      > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using
      the
      > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
      > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
      > of years.

    • B Tommie Usdin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
        >- Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?

        You may find some of the samples at
        http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xml03/slides/xslfoshowcase/index.html
        useful.

        These samples, which were used for an XSL-FO tool "bake-off" include
        several types of complex documents and one very large one.

        -- Tommie
        B. Tommie Usdin mailto:btusdin@...
        Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
        17 West Jefferson Street Phone: 301/315-9631
        Suite 207 Direct Line: 301/315-9634
        Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
        Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML
      • Eric Entenman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
          I've been using the render from www.xmlpdf.com in a production environment
          for over a year now. It can render large documents, 10,000 plus pages, with
          nested tables without any memory problems or crashing. And you can't beat
          the price (compared to antenna anyway)

          On 2/20/06, Shawn McKenzie <smckenzie23@...> wrote:

          > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
          > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
          > solution for print.
          >
          > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
          > options for professional print output were the Antenna House processor
          > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
          > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
          >
          > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
          > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
          > reevaluate.
          >
          > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
          > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
          >
          > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
          > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
          > PDF bookmarks?
          > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
          >
          > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using the
          > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
          > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
          > of years.

        • scasquiov squerniovsqui
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2006
            hi,

            How long does it take to process a 10000 pages document, with xmlpdf?