Re: [XSL-FO] Commercial processors

  • Jacek Radajewski
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
      I've used xep 2.x to render books that were about 1500 pages, but the
      JVM used about 1.6GB. Also, XEP was very slow processing images. I
      believe both of these problems have been solved in new versions of xep.

      On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:14, Shawn McKenzie wrote:

      > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
      > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
      > solution for print.
      >
      > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
      > options for professional print output were the Antenna House processor
      > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
      > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
      >
      > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
      > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
      > reevaluate.
      >
      > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
      > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
      >
      > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
      > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
      > PDF bookmarks?
      > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
      >
      > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using the
      > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
      > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
      > of years.

      > Xml xsl
      > Xsl
      > Xsl fo
      > Xsl-fo
      > Xsl tutorial

      > Service.

    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
        Shawn McKenzie wrote:

        > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
        > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
        >
        > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?

        The easiest thing to do would probably be to hand-create or generate
        from an existing script a page sequence of say 10 pages and then just
        cut and paste it 150 times. I don't know if any off-the shelf large
        samples, unless maybe the DocBook manual, maybe copied a time or two.

        > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
        > PDF bookmarks?
        > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?

        Altsoft's XML2PDF has markedly improved in the latest versions I've
        tested: www.alt-soft.com. I haven't tested it with large documents, however.

        It does support the new FO 1.1 bookmark markup (as does XSL Formatter
        and the latest XEP releases, as far as I can remember).

        Both XEP and XSL Formatter have improved in the last 1.5 years, so you
        should re-evaluate both of them.

        Cheers,

        E.

        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Altsoft Xml2PDF
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
          Starting from 3.0 beta, Altsoft Xml2PDF engine formats huge FO-files
          without any problems. The speed and memory usage are good enough in
          comparison with the products you mentioned.

          Just visit the 3.0 beta page and check it out:

          http://alt-soft.com/products_xml2pdf_v3b.jsp

          If you need a test suite on large complex FO-files please e-mail us
          to support@...

          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn McKenzie" <smckenzie23@...>
          wrote:

          > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
          > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
          > solution for print.
          >
          > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
          > options for professional print output were the Antenna House
          processor
          > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
          > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
          >
          > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
          > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
          > reevaluate.
          >
          > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
          > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the
          group.

          > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
          > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
          > PDF bookmarks?
          > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
          >
          > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using
          the
          > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
          > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
          > of years.

        • B Tommie Usdin
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
            >- Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?

            You may find some of the samples at
            http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xml03/slides/xslfoshowcase/index.html
            useful.

            These samples, which were used for an XSL-FO tool "bake-off" include
            several types of complex documents and one very large one.

            -- Tommie
            B. Tommie Usdin mailto:btusdin@...
            Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
            17 West Jefferson Street Phone: 301/315-9631
            Suite 207 Direct Line: 301/315-9634
            Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
            Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML
          • Eric Entenman
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
              I've been using the render from www.xmlpdf.com in a production environment
              for over a year now. It can render large documents, 10,000 plus pages, with
              nested tables without any memory problems or crashing. And you can't beat
              the price (compared to antenna anyway)

              On 2/20/06, Shawn McKenzie <smckenzie23@...> wrote:

              > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
              > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
              > solution for print.
              >
              > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
              > options for professional print output were the Antenna House processor
              > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
              > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
              >
              > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
              > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
              > reevaluate.
              >
              > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
              > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
              >
              > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
              > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
              > PDF bookmarks?
              > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
              >
              > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using the
              > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
              > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
              > of years.

            • scasquiov squerniovsqui
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 22, 2006
                hi,

                How long does it take to process a 10000 pages document, with xmlpdf?