Commercial processors

  • Shawn McKenzie
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2006
      It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
      I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
      solution for print.

      Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
      options for professional print output were the Antenna House processor
      and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
      crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.

      I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
      possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
      reevaluate.

      The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
      their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.

      - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
      - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
      PDF bookmarks?
      - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?

      For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using the
      XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
      thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
      of years.
    • Jacek Radajewski
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
        I've used xep 2.x to render books that were about 1500 pages, but the
        JVM used about 1.6GB. Also, XEP was very slow processing images. I
        believe both of these problems have been solved in new versions of xep.

        On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:14, Shawn McKenzie wrote:

        > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
        > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
        > solution for print.
        >
        > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
        > options for professional print output were the Antenna House processor
        > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
        > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
        >
        > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
        > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
        > reevaluate.
        >
        > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
        > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
        >
        > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
        > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
        > PDF bookmarks?
        > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
        >
        > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using the
        > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
        > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
        > of years.

        > Xml xsl
        > Xsl
        > Xsl fo
        > Xsl-fo
        > Xsl tutorial

        > Service.

      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
          Shawn McKenzie wrote:

          > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
          > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
          >
          > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?

          The easiest thing to do would probably be to hand-create or generate
          from an existing script a page sequence of say 10 pages and then just
          cut and paste it 150 times. I don't know if any off-the shelf large
          samples, unless maybe the DocBook manual, maybe copied a time or two.

          > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
          > PDF bookmarks?
          > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?

          Altsoft's XML2PDF has markedly improved in the latest versions I've
          tested: www.alt-soft.com. I haven't tested it with large documents, however.

          It does support the new FO 1.1 bookmark markup (as does XSL Formatter
          and the latest XEP releases, as far as I can remember).

          Both XEP and XSL Formatter have improved in the last 1.5 years, so you
          should re-evaluate both of them.

          Cheers,

          E.

          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services

          ekimber@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com
        • Altsoft Xml2PDF
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
            Starting from 3.0 beta, Altsoft Xml2PDF engine formats huge FO-files
            without any problems. The speed and memory usage are good enough in
            comparison with the products you mentioned.

            Just visit the 3.0 beta page and check it out:

            http://alt-soft.com/products_xml2pdf_v3b.jsp

            If you need a test suite on large complex FO-files please e-mail us
            to support@...

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn McKenzie" <smckenzie23@...>
            wrote:

            > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
            > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
            > solution for print.
            >
            > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
            > options for professional print output were the Antenna House
            processor
            > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
            > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
            >
            > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
            > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
            > reevaluate.
            >
            > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
            > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the
            group.

            > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
            > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
            > PDF bookmarks?
            > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
            >
            > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using
            the
            > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
            > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
            > of years.

          • B Tommie Usdin
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
              >- Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?

              You may find some of the samples at
              http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xml03/slides/xslfoshowcase/index.html
              useful.

              These samples, which were used for an XSL-FO tool "bake-off" include
              several types of complex documents and one very large one.

              -- Tommie
              B. Tommie Usdin mailto:btusdin@...
              Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
              17 West Jefferson Street Phone: 301/315-9631
              Suite 207 Direct Line: 301/315-9634
              Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
              Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML
            • Eric Entenman
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
                I've been using the render from www.xmlpdf.com in a production environment
                for over a year now. It can render large documents, 10,000 plus pages, with
                nested tables without any memory problems or crashing. And you can't beat
                the price (compared to antenna anyway)

                On 2/20/06, Shawn McKenzie <smckenzie23@...> wrote:

                > It has been about a year and a half since I've messed with XSL-FO.
                > I've changed jobs and am about to dive into implementing an FO
                > solution for print.
                >
                > Back when I was activly working on this it seemed the only real
                > options for professional print output were the Antenna House processor
                > and XEP. I was formatting 1600 page books at the time and XEP was
                > crashing, so I went with XSL Formatter from Antenna.
                >
                > I was happy with Antenna but the confusing pricing, high cost, and
                > possibly the world's worst web site are making me think I should
                > reevaluate.
                >
                > The trial version of XEP seems to work fine, but I've only tested
                > their sample files. So I have a couple quick questions for the group.
                >
                > - Where can I get some large, complex FO files to test processors?
                > - Does anyone have large FO files marked up with XEP extensions for
                > PDF bookmarks?
                > - Are there any decent processors I am missing and should check out?
                >
                > For the short term I may just start building infrastructure using the
                > XEP trial version and swap things out if I hit limitations. Just
                > thought I'd get opinions and see what has changed in the last couple
                > of years.

              • scasquiov squerniovsqui
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 22, 2006
                  hi,

                  How long does it take to process a 10000 pages document, with xmlpdf?