Implication for bpd="100%" on block-container w/in table cell

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      On the XEP support list somebody suggested that you could cause a cell
      to take up the remaining space on a page by putting a block-container
      with block-progression-dimension="100%" in the cell.

      I tried this and it does that with XEP but with XSL Formatter and
      XML2PDF the block container is forced to the next page, where it takes
      up the entire bpd of the body region.

      Looking closely at the definition of block-progression-dimension, it
      looks to me like both behaviors are incorrect. If I'm reading the spec
      correctly, in this case the block-container is in the context of a
      block-level formatting object (the table cell) with no explicit bpd, in
      which case the 'If that dimension is not specified explicitly (i.e., it
      depends on content's block-progression-dimension), the value is
      interpreted as "auto"' clause applies and the block-container should be
      no deeper than its intrinsic content (i.e., one line for a block
      container containing a non-breaking space or space leader or some such).

      Is my analysis correct? I didn't see anything in the definitions of
      table, table cell, or block container that appeared to override the
      basic rules for interpreting bpd="100%".

      This also suggests that it would be useful to have a bpd value of
      "remaining" that would mean "occupies the remaining bpd extent available
      in the nearest ancestor reference area. However, in thinking about it
      just now, I could see this getting pretty tricky to qualify or apply
      clearly when a single FO might generate a sequence of reference areas
      (i.e., a table that breaks across pages, a block-container that repeats
      due to overflow processing, etc.).

      Anyone have any insight into this issue?

      I'm asking because if the XEP behavior is in fact correct, that would be
      really handy but I just don't think it is. But I don't think the other
      tools are behaving correctly either.

      Cheers,

      E.
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      ekimber@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
        Here is a test case that tries putting bpd=100% in the three places it
        might work (and is allowed): on the table, on a table cell in the last
        row, and on a block-container in a cell in the last row.

        With this test case, the behavior from XEP, XSL Formatter, and XML2PDF
        is much more divergent.

        When BPD=100% on the table, I think the table should occupy all the
        available space, that is, behaving just as a block-container with
        bpd=100% does.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --