Re: [XSL-FO] Do 3B2 pagination type features available in XSL:FO

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
      At 2006-02-02 04:20 +0000, Anjani Maurya wrote:
      >I am a template developer using 3B2 pagination software. I want to
      >know does any xslfo formatter provides such features as avialable in
      >other pagination softwares(i.e quark-express, indesign, 3B2 etc.)

      While the software you cite is self-contained, using XSL-FO for
      styling is the second step of a two-step process of algorithmically
      preparing your content for layout (often with XSLT, though not
      mandatory) and then using XSL-FO for the actual layout constructs.

      Also, some vendors may offer extensions one can use to engage
      features not described by the semantics of XSL-FO layout.

      >a). making round corner boxes,

      Not round-corner boxes, but areas can be bordered.

      >drawing rules.

      Yes for horizontal rules.

      >b). adjusting left, right, top and bottom margins.

      Yes.

      >c). auto generating footnotes.

      Footnote layout is supported in XSL-FO, it is up to your
      transformation step to decide what goes into the footnotes. Since
      there is nothing "automatic" in an arbitrary transformation, I would
      not say "auto generating". But the combination of transformation and
      XSL-FO supports many footnote citation requirements.

      Notably one requirement not met by XSL-FO is a footnote whose
      citation scheme restarts on a page break.

      >d). placing figures and table near to their callouts in the running
      > text.

      Responsibility of the transformation. XSL-FO does include floating
      content to the nearest "top of page", which might be what you are asking.

      >e). frames with unequal column widths.

      Pages can only have equal-sized evenly-spaced columns for flowed
      content. Tables can have arbitrary unequal column widths.

      >f). colour-gradient styles.

      I don't understand your need here ... XSL-FO provides for the
      arbitrary specification of colour that can then be interpreted by the
      vendor's tool.

      >g). recto-verso style variation etc.

      Yes, XSL-FO provides for different header/footer content based on
      page parity, but no, XSL-FO does not provide for "inside/outside"
      formatting of the flow based on page parity.

      I hope this helps. On our web site linked in my trailer below, under
      the "Books & free excerpts" section you can download for free an
      excerpt of the book we sell on XSL-FO that should answer a lot of
      your questions and give you a good overview.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

      --
      Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        Anjani Maurya wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am a template developer using 3B2 pagination software. I want to
        > know does any xslfo formatter provides such features as avialable in
        > other pagination softwares(i.e quark-express, indesign, 3B2 etc.)
        >
        > a). making round corner boxes, drawing rules.

        Drawing horizontal or vertical rules can be done in several ways with
        FO. All the useful FO implementations also support the use of SVG to
        draw anything SVG can draw.

        Antenna House XSL Formatter includes extensions for doing rounded box
        corners. These are not quite as complete as 3B2's but close.

        > b). adjusting left, right, top and bottom margins.

        Not sure what you mean by this. Page margins can be varied on a per-page
        basis by using different page masters, although they cannot be
        arbitrarily changed outside of the definition of a page sequence (that
        is, there's nothing you can put in a flow that would directly affect the
        page margins on a given page).

        > c). auto generating footnotes.

        XSL-FO has a footnote feature (automatic placement) and both XSL
        Formatter and XEP provide extensions for doing column footnotes
        (standard FO only provides full-page footnotes).

        However, neither FO nor the commercial tools provide the full range of
        footnote placement features that 3B2 provides (especially through things
        like footnote control streams and rendition-time macros).

        > d). placing figures and table near to their callouts in the running
        > text.

        FO has some features for this, including top and side floats (but not
        bottom floats unless you use footnotes (and don't have any real
        footnotes on that page)).

        Neither FO nor any implementations provide the equivalent of 3B2's
        anchor control streams, which let you do very sophisticated automated
        placement of floats.

        > e). frames with unequal column widths.

        Not directly. In FO columns must be of equal width.

        However, in FO 1.1 you can simulate this with multiple flows. Also, both
        XEP and XSL Formatter provide extensions that make it possible to
        achieve major/minor type layouts where the minor column only holds
        single-page marginalia items.

        > f). colour-gradient styles.

        You can use any background graphic, including gradients. You can also
        use inline or external SVG to do gradients (assuming your FO
        implementation supports SVG gradients).

        > g). recto-verso style variation etc.

        Yes, you can have different page masters for even and odd pages, and so
        on. FO 1.0 fails to provide inside/outside options for some items, but
        this has been corrected in FO 1.1. Both XEP and XSL Formatter provide
        extensions for inside/outside placement.

        > Does XSL:FO fullfil such requirements in electronic typesetting.

        This is always a difficult question to answer because it is highly
        dependent on the details of the requirements for a particular
        publication or class of publication.

        Because XSL-FO systems tend to be so much less expensive than systems
        built using proprietary composition systems, the better question is
        often "can I reduce my requirements to the set supported by XSL-FO and
        its implementations in order to recognize the savings and benefits of
        using XSL-FO?" If the answer is "yes" then FO is the answer. If the
        answer is "NO" then it's not. Of course that still leaves open the
        question of what XSL-FO can or can't do. This is an easy question to
        answer in the context of specific layout sample, hard to answer generically.

        That all said, FO was always targeted at the requirements of technical
        documentation and not high-end documents like textbooks, magazines, and
        the like.

        In Innodata Isogen's practice as a development of publishing systems and
        provider of composition services, we have found that the FO standard and
        current FO implementations, while quite powerful and clearly appropriate
        for most technical documentation applications, are simply not up to the
        task of rendering more demanding publications such as textbooks and
        magazines, what I tend to refer to as "highly-designed documents".

        Also, all XSL-FO implementations are geared for lights-out, batch
        operation. This means that there is really no opportunity for
        interactive modification of the rendered result the way there is in 3B2,
        Quark, InDesign, or XPP. While you could, in theory, generate XSL-FO
        instances and then tweak them, there are no user interfaces for doing this.

        Also, the abstract XSL-FO processing model explicitly lacks feedback
        from the pagination stage back to the FO generation stage, which means
        that there are no features in XSL-FO for doing what FO calls
        "layout-driven" formatting, that is formatting that depends on knowledge
        of where a given object falls on a page relative to other objects. This
        kind of feedback can be implemented using a two-pass process, but I
        don't know of anyone whose done this in any general way (Ken Holman has
        published some work he's done to do a sort of 1/2 send pass to do index
        generation).

        So if you have requirements that are defined in terms of where something
        falls in the pagination stream or in terms of how much space it takes
        relative to other things, then XSL-FO is probably not going to work, at
        least not without significant additional implementation effort.

        Also, XSL-FO provides few features for automatic copyfitting, which is
        something that tools like 3B2 can do reasonably well. XSL Formatter
        provides some "make it fit" features but they are limited compared to
        3B2's copyfitting features.

        In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that Innodata
        Isogen is currently developing and marketing a new composition offering
        built around what we are calling the "tool-agnostic layout system"
        (TALS), which uses a generic style sheet mechanism to then generate
        renderers that can then generate the input into different composition
        systems, including 3B2 and similar systems.

        The style sheet mechanism is proprietary to Innodata Isogen but strongly
        informed by XSL-FO and intended to be a completely neutral repository of
        all the formatting information for a given schema-to-layout-design
        binding. While the style sheet design is proprietary we are treating it
        as though it were a standard--that is, our business intent is not to
        achieve propietary lock-in of our customers but to provide them with a
        system that has the characteristics of a standard, namely providing a
        neutral data format that protects them from the downstream tools as much
        as possible and lowers the overall cost of developing XML-based
        publishing systems (by reducing engineering costs, enabling practical
        re-use of style specifications, and automating composition with high-end
        composition tools as much as possible (reducing the amount of hand work
        needed to paginate documents).

        Clients of this system own their style definitions and therefore have
        the right to use a different implementation (we see our secret sauce
        being the implementation of the renderer generators, not the style sheet
        language itself). As in the XSL-FO market, we should be competing on
        value, not trying to develop a proprietary monopoly.

        We originally developed this approach in order to serve the needs of our
        own professional services practice--we wanted to eliminate duplication
        and redundancy in the development of format analysis reports and the
        XSLT transforms that come out of them, but quickly realized that there
        was a large opportunity to serve additional needs of publishers. Our
        orignal plan to was to generate FO renderers (that is, renderers that
        generate XSL-FO output, which is the bulk of what we develop in our
        professional services practice). However, we got early interest from
        publishers that were trying to get control over their use of 3B2-based
        composition vendors to compose publications from XML source. We realized
        that if we could better automate the generation of the input into tools
        like 3B2, we could help publishers get more control over their
        composition process, get more consistency in their results, and,
        hopefully, lower the overall cost of publishing a given title, and,
        possibly, reduce the time it takes to produce a publication (by
        significantly reducing the time required to go from manuscript to final
        pages).

        Note that the intent of this system is absolutely *not* to compete with
        existing composition tools, whether XSL-FO-based or proprietary. Rather,
        we are trying to make it easier for clients to use different composition
        tools and lower the cost of getting from XML to published pages, which,
        we hope, will increase the market for composition tools (and, as a side
        effect, encourage vendors of proprietary composition systems to compete
        more on value (which they already do of course, but there is significant
        proprietary lock-in for a tool like 3B2 or InDesign or XPP once you've
        made the investment in skills and tools and data for using it).

        In the context of XSL-FO systems, the only potential downside from our
        system is that we might lower the cost (both in dollars and in risk of
        proprietary lock in) of using high-end compositions systems to the point
        where they become competitive with XSL-FO-based systems where the XSL-FO
        system would otherwise satisfy the composition requirements. It's
        certainly not our intent to develop a technology disruptive to the
        XSL-FO market but it may be an unavoidable consequence. Of course, this
        might also drive the FO development community to work harder at
        extending the FO specification so that it is more applicable to high-end
        composition needs....

        Our initial implementation efforts have been on generating 3B2 input,
        which is why I happen to know pretty much precisely how XSL-FO and its
        implementations relate to the specific features of 3B2.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber