hyph files

  • Ken Sands
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2006
      hello all, not long ago I created a hyph file to solve the issue of
      wrapping text that may not be normal language, ie - a field in a table
      that holds a product code or perhaps a block of c code.

      I'd noticed quite a few people with the same issue having to write xsl
      to put in zero width spaces every so often. This didn't seem very
      elegent to me.

      I wrote a hyph file containing all the numbers and symbols so they
      would get the same value and anything would wrap. This is actually
      working for me, however I sent it to Simon Pepping of the OFFO guys
      and he said it didn't work for him, I have no idea why my creation of
      the file was quite trial and error based.

      he thinks it's because of the lack of any patterns whatsoever.

      As I said, it's difficult for me to do much more as it works for me as
      it is, I simply wanted to offer it on OFFO to help everyone else.

      Any suggestions?

      Ken.
    • Jirka Kosek
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2006
        Ken Sands wrote:

        > I'd noticed quite a few people with the same issue having to write xsl
        > to put in zero width spaces every so often. This didn't seem very
        > elegent to me.

        This approach has one big benefit -- it works in all XSL-FO
        implementations and doesn't force users to reconfigure their
        installation with a new hyphenation file.

        Jirka

        Jirka Kosek e-mail: jirka@... http://www.kosek.cz
        Profesion�ln� �kolen� a poradenstv� v oblasti technologi� XML.
        Pod�vejte se na n�� nov� spu�t�n� web http://DocBook.cz
        Podrobn� p�ehled �kolen� http://xmlguru.cz/skoleni/
      • Ken Sands
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2006
          Not true, when I moved to 0.9a the zero width spaces stopped working, also even in 20.5 they were not true zero width, they made little gaps in the text.

          > I'd noticed quite a few people with the same issue having to write xsl
          > to put in zero width spaces every so often. This didn't seem very
          > elegent to me.

          This approach has one big benefit -- it works in all XSL-FO
          implementations and doesn't force users to reconfigure their
          installation with a new hyphenation file.

          Jirka

          Jirka Kosek e-mail: jirka@... http://www.kosek.cz
          Profesionální ¹kolení a poradenství v oblasti technologií XML.
          Podívejte se na ná¹ novì spu¹tìný web http://DocBook.cz
          Podrobný pøehled ¹kolení http://xmlguru.cz/skoleni/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          --

          Scanned by mailCritical.
          --

          The DSI Group of Companies
          International House, Barlow Way,

          This message and any attachments is intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use. If the recipient of the transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email message or it's attachments other than by its intended recipients is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies in your possession.