Re: [XSL-FO] How is Baseline Position Determined?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2006
      At 2006-01-24 16:34 -0600, Eliot Kimber wrote:
      >I'm trying to translate design specs that specify baseline-to-baseline
      >into reliable FO specifications and I'm finding that it may not be possible.
      >
      >What I need to be able to do is predict where the baseline for a given
      >line of text, usually the first line in a block, will fall relative to
      >the before or after edge of the block.
      >
      >If I understand the spec, the "baseline start point" is formatter
      >determined (Clause 4.5 Line-areas).
      >
      >If this is the case then there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to
      >predict where the baseline will fall.

      The only quantity that has messed me up in the past is the
      half-leading, as the default leading value is implementation
      defined. I've taken control by specifying line height explicitly and
      then obtained closer results between tools.

      But I confess that I haven't had to count pixels, so I don't know if
      there is a nuance I've missed.

      >Is my analysis correct (that baseline is unpredicatable) or have I
      >missed a subtlety somewhere?

      Before and after each line the formatter will allocate half of the
      leading (a kewl method of accommodating successive lines with
      different font sizes).

      I wonder if you changed line height to "1" (scalars are allowed as
      indications of factor of the font size) if you would get closer
      results because there would then be no leading.

      I hope this helps.

      --
      Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Denver,CO March 13-17,2006