Re: [XSL-FO] Re: suggested xsl-fo processors for floating images and html rendering

  • Dan Moore
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
      Thanks for the suggestion.

      I've looked at FOP, and see that it has an area tree output which I could conceivably further process. Unfortunately, it seems that neither version of FOP (stable or dev) plans support for fo:float.

      Do you know of any processors (free or commercial), that expose the AreaTree without using the GUI? Does XSLFormatter allow that?

      Dan

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006

        I'm sorry I wasn't clear. What we want is to have printed web page break nicely. The document will still be in one pane when viewed, so it won't be broken up into hyperlinked pages.

        ... snip ...

        > > Does the list have any suggestions?
        >
        > I use http://www.renderx.com/tools/fo2html.html to transform an
        > XSL-FO instance into a single HTML+CSS file. I've had to tweak it
        > and wrap it to get some benefits needed that are not provided for by
        > the publicly-available version.

        Thanks. I found this nosing around after I had posted. This is great in that it turns the XSL-FO to HTML, but it doesn't preserve pagination. I'm sure that's because pagination is not a property of the XSL-FO stylesheet, but rather an outgrowth of the processor applying the XSL-FO to content.

        > >Am I wrong to be looking at XSL-FO as a possible solution for this?
        >
        > Perhaps ... I don't know of any vendor that takes the "interpreted
        > XSL-FO semantics in the area tree" and renders the area tree as HTML.

        OK. Do you know of any vendors that make that area tree available so that we might be able to translate the area tree to HTML via a plugin or extension? I've looked at FOP, which does provide an XMLRenderer. But, unfortunately, FOP does not support fo:float, which is another requirement.

        > >If so, are there any other technologies which might be appropriate?
        >
        > In my training material design, the smallest level of granularity
        > upon which I write the content is what I call a "pane" ... XSLT
        > produces a single HTML page for each pane and hyperlinks every pane
        > to its previous one, its next one, the first pane of the current
        > frame of panes, the first pane of the first frame of the previous
        > lesson of frames, the first frame of the current lesson of frames,
        > the first pane of the first frame of the next lesson of frames, the
        > first pane of the first frame of the first lesson of the previous
        > module of lessons, the first pane of the first lesson of the current
        > module of lessons, the first pane of the first lesson of the next
        > module of lessons, and the index of all frames and their
        > panes. Students of mine might remember the button-box at the top
        > right corner of the HTML projection slides, absent in the PDF rendering.
        >
        > The governing idea was that "it is easy to aggregate information into
        > a set, but very difficult to disaggregate a set into constituent
        > components". A common mantra when working with markup. Thus, I use
        > XSLT to transform the granular panes into individual hyperlinked HTML
        > pages, and then different XSLT to aggregate panes, frames, lessons
        > and modules into chapters of PDF using XSL-FO. One set of rendered
        > PDF was then published by Prentice Hall into an on-the-shelf
        > publication. The same XML source was used both for my electronic
        > publications (HTML and another XSL-FO to create different PDF) and
        > the paper publications (printed PDF) with a very different look and feel.
        >
        > I suggest you do the same, thus getting the control you want for the
        > HTML granularity (assuming that's the smallest) and the PDF
        > aggregation that makes sense in each medium for the kind of
        > information you are working with. Pick an authoring level of
        > granularity that gives you the flexibility to do late-binding of
        > different levels of aggregation.

        I think I get what you're saying. However, what we want is a 'pane' that corresponds to a printed 8 1/2" by 11" page. And I don't know how to get that without using a tool like XSL-FO (or counting characters + font metrics, a solution I'm trying to shy away from).

        Thanks for your suggestions.
        Dan

      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
          Dan Moore wrote:
          >> Perhaps ... I don't know of any vendor that takes the "interpreted
          >> XSL-FO semantics in the area tree" and renders the area tree as
          >> HTML.
          >
          > OK. Do you know of any vendors that make that area tree available so
          > that we might be able to translate the area tree to HTML via a plugin
          > or extension? I've looked at FOP, which does provide an XMLRenderer.
          > But, unfortunately, FOP does not support fo:float, which is another
          > requirement.

          Both XEP and XSL Formatter provide some form of area tree that you can
          post-process.

          > I think I get what you're saying. However, what we want is a 'pane'
          > that corresponds to a printed 8 1/2" by 11" page. And I don't know
          > how to get that without using a tool like XSL-FO (or counting
          > characters + font metrics, a solution I'm trying to shy away from).

          I'm still not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for, but
          using the area tree you should be able to at least capture the page
          breaks so that whatever generates your HTML can reflect it in some way.

          Cheers,

          Eliot

          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services

          ekimber@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com
        • tokukobayashi2002
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
            Hello,

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dan Moore <moore234@y...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the suggestion.
            >
            > I've looked at FOP, and see that it has an area tree output which I
            could conceivably further process. Unfortunately, it seems that
            neither version of FOP (stable or dev) plans support for fo:float.

            I am not familiar with FOP.

            > Do you know of any processors (free or commercial), that expose the
            AreaTree without using the GUI? Does XSLFormatter allow that?

            In the case of XSL Formatter, it will be possible to generate areatree
            by using @AreaTree instead of @PDF at any interface such as command
            line etc.

            I hope it will be helpful.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
              Dan Moore wrote:

              > Do you know of any processors (free or commercial), that expose the
              > AreaTree without using the GUI? Does XSLFormatter allow that?

              It does, as does XEP (which has no GUI, only an API and a command line).

              Cheers,

              Eliot
              --
              W. Eliot Kimber
              Professional Services

              ekimber@...
              www.innodata-isogen.com
            • Dan Moore
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
                OK. Looks like there are a couple of viable solutions. I will investigate further.

                I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in for their time and input.

                Dan