Re: suggested xsl-fo processors for floating images and html rendering

  • tokukobayashi2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2006
      Hello!

      If you need to convert each page to a html page, it will be possible
      to achieve the objective by converting AreaTree to HTML.

      AreaTree is a pagenated, intermediate XML from XSL FO instance.
      It is not a standard, processor dependent. Guideline is on XSL FO
      specification.

      As GUI of XSL Formatter can save an AreaTree, you may get the idea
      of AreaTree by using a evaluation copy of XSL Formatter.

      I hope it helps.

      Best regards,

      Tokushige Kobayashi

      -- Antenna House, Inc.
      E-mail koba@...
      WWW http://www.antenna.co.jp/ (Japanese)
      PDF Blog http://blog.antenna.co.jp/PDFTool/ (Japanese)
      WWW http://www.antennahouse.com/ (English)
      TEL +81-3-3234-1361 (direct call)
      FAX +81-3-3221-9975

      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dan Moore <moore234@y...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I've been lurking on the XSL-FO list for a month or so now. I'm
      working for a company that has some very specific needs that I think
      XSL-FO might be able to meet. I've done some looking around
      (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/foreading.html and the fop
      website) and also some searches on the xsl-fo yahoogroup and the
      xsl-fo w3c group.

      > However, I haven't found a way to do what we want. What we're
      looking for:

      > A processor that supports the fo:float tag. Antenna and Render-X,
      among others, do this.

      > It also needs to render to html. I found a few processors that did
      this (via this page:
      http://rkamal.blogspot.com/2004/12/list-of-xsl-fo-processors.html),
      but most of them used XSLT. What we want is paginated HTML. I'd like
      to leverage XSL-FO's pagination and then render to HTML.

      > The final item is more of a preference: that the processor run on
      unix and have java APIs. That's not a hard requirement, though.

      > Does the list have any suggestions? Am I wrong to be looking at
      XSL-FO as a possible solution for this? If so, are there any other
      technologies which might be appropriate?

      > Thanks for your time.
      > Dan

    • Dan Moore
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
        Thanks for the suggestion.

        I've looked at FOP, and see that it has an area tree output which I could conceivably further process. Unfortunately, it seems that neither version of FOP (stable or dev) plans support for fo:float.

        Do you know of any processors (free or commercial), that expose the AreaTree without using the GUI? Does XSLFormatter allow that?

        Dan

        If you need to convert each page to a html page, it will be possible
        to achieve the objective by converting AreaTree to HTML.

        AreaTree is a pagenated, intermediate XML from XSL FO instance.
        It is not a standard, processor dependent. Guideline is on XSL FO
        specification.

        As GUI of XSL Formatter can save an AreaTree, you may get the idea
        of AreaTree by using a evaluation copy of XSL Formatter.

        I hope it helps.

        Best regards,

        Tokushige Kobayashi

        -- Antenna House, Inc.
        E-mail koba@...
        WWW http://www.antenna.co.jp/ (Japanese)
        PDF Blog http://blog.antenna.co.jp/PDFTool/ (Japanese)
        WWW http://www.antennahouse.com/ (English)
        TEL +81-3-3234-1361 (direct call)
        FAX +81-3-3221-9975

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dan Moore <moore234@y...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I've been lurking on the XSL-FO list for a month or so now. I'm
        working for a company that has some very specific needs that I think
        XSL-FO might be able to meet. I've done some looking around
        (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/foreading.html and the fop
        website) and also some searches on the xsl-fo yahoogroup and the
        xsl-fo w3c group.

        > However, I haven't found a way to do what we want. What we're
        looking for:

        > A processor that supports the fo:float tag. Antenna and Render-X,
        among others, do this.

        > It also needs to render to html. I found a few processors that did
        this (via this page:
        http://rkamal.blogspot.com/2004/12/list-of-xsl-fo-processors.html),
        but most of them used XSLT. What we want is paginated HTML. I'd like
        to leverage XSL-FO's pagination and then render to HTML.

        > The final item is more of a preference: that the processor run on
        unix and have java APIs. That's not a hard requirement, though.

        > Does the list have any suggestions? Am I wrong to be looking at
        XSL-FO as a possible solution for this? If so, are there any other
        technologies which might be appropriate?

        > Thanks for your time.
        > Dan

        Xml xsl Xsl Xsl fo Xsl tutorial
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.

      • Dan Moore
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006

          I'm sorry I wasn't clear. What we want is to have printed web page break nicely. The document will still be in one pane when viewed, so it won't be broken up into hyperlinked pages.

          ... snip ...

          > > Does the list have any suggestions?
          >
          > I use http://www.renderx.com/tools/fo2html.html to transform an
          > XSL-FO instance into a single HTML+CSS file. I've had to tweak it
          > and wrap it to get some benefits needed that are not provided for by
          > the publicly-available version.

          Thanks. I found this nosing around after I had posted. This is great in that it turns the XSL-FO to HTML, but it doesn't preserve pagination. I'm sure that's because pagination is not a property of the XSL-FO stylesheet, but rather an outgrowth of the processor applying the XSL-FO to content.

          > >Am I wrong to be looking at XSL-FO as a possible solution for this?
          >
          > Perhaps ... I don't know of any vendor that takes the "interpreted
          > XSL-FO semantics in the area tree" and renders the area tree as HTML.

          OK. Do you know of any vendors that make that area tree available so that we might be able to translate the area tree to HTML via a plugin or extension? I've looked at FOP, which does provide an XMLRenderer. But, unfortunately, FOP does not support fo:float, which is another requirement.

          > >If so, are there any other technologies which might be appropriate?
          >
          > In my training material design, the smallest level of granularity
          > upon which I write the content is what I call a "pane" ... XSLT
          > produces a single HTML page for each pane and hyperlinks every pane
          > to its previous one, its next one, the first pane of the current
          > frame of panes, the first pane of the first frame of the previous
          > lesson of frames, the first frame of the current lesson of frames,
          > the first pane of the first frame of the next lesson of frames, the
          > first pane of the first frame of the first lesson of the previous
          > module of lessons, the first pane of the first lesson of the current
          > module of lessons, the first pane of the first lesson of the next
          > module of lessons, and the index of all frames and their
          > panes. Students of mine might remember the button-box at the top
          > right corner of the HTML projection slides, absent in the PDF rendering.
          >
          > The governing idea was that "it is easy to aggregate information into
          > a set, but very difficult to disaggregate a set into constituent
          > components". A common mantra when working with markup. Thus, I use
          > XSLT to transform the granular panes into individual hyperlinked HTML
          > pages, and then different XSLT to aggregate panes, frames, lessons
          > and modules into chapters of PDF using XSL-FO. One set of rendered
          > PDF was then published by Prentice Hall into an on-the-shelf
          > publication. The same XML source was used both for my electronic
          > publications (HTML and another XSL-FO to create different PDF) and
          > the paper publications (printed PDF) with a very different look and feel.
          >
          > I suggest you do the same, thus getting the control you want for the
          > HTML granularity (assuming that's the smallest) and the PDF
          > aggregation that makes sense in each medium for the kind of
          > information you are working with. Pick an authoring level of
          > granularity that gives you the flexibility to do late-binding of
          > different levels of aggregation.

          I think I get what you're saying. However, what we want is a 'pane' that corresponds to a printed 8 1/2" by 11" page. And I don't know how to get that without using a tool like XSL-FO (or counting characters + font metrics, a solution I'm trying to shy away from).

          Thanks for your suggestions.
          Dan

        • Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
            Dan Moore wrote:
            >> Perhaps ... I don't know of any vendor that takes the "interpreted
            >> XSL-FO semantics in the area tree" and renders the area tree as
            >> HTML.
            >
            > OK. Do you know of any vendors that make that area tree available so
            > that we might be able to translate the area tree to HTML via a plugin
            > or extension? I've looked at FOP, which does provide an XMLRenderer.
            > But, unfortunately, FOP does not support fo:float, which is another
            > requirement.

            Both XEP and XSL Formatter provide some form of area tree that you can
            post-process.

            > I think I get what you're saying. However, what we want is a 'pane'
            > that corresponds to a printed 8 1/2" by 11" page. And I don't know
            > how to get that without using a tool like XSL-FO (or counting
            > characters + font metrics, a solution I'm trying to shy away from).

            I'm still not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for, but
            using the area tree you should be able to at least capture the page
            breaks so that whatever generates your HTML can reflect it in some way.

            Cheers,

            Eliot

            --
            W. Eliot Kimber
            Professional Services

            ekimber@...
            www.innodata-isogen.com
          • tokukobayashi2002
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
              Hello,

              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dan Moore <moore234@y...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the suggestion.
              >
              > I've looked at FOP, and see that it has an area tree output which I
              could conceivably further process. Unfortunately, it seems that
              neither version of FOP (stable or dev) plans support for fo:float.

              I am not familiar with FOP.

              > Do you know of any processors (free or commercial), that expose the
              AreaTree without using the GUI? Does XSLFormatter allow that?

              In the case of XSL Formatter, it will be possible to generate areatree
              by using @AreaTree instead of @PDF at any interface such as command
              line etc.

              I hope it will be helpful.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
                Dan Moore wrote:

                > Do you know of any processors (free or commercial), that expose the
                > AreaTree without using the GUI? Does XSLFormatter allow that?

                It does, as does XEP (which has no GUI, only an API and a command line).

                Cheers,

                Eliot
                --
                W. Eliot Kimber
                Professional Services

                ekimber@...
                www.innodata-isogen.com
              • Dan Moore
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
                  OK. Looks like there are a couple of viable solutions. I will investigate further.

                  I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in for their time and input.

                  Dan