RE: [XSL-FO] Navigation on XSL-FO

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006
      I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT and
      XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case we
      put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked each
      individual character to that part of the index at the back of the
      book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and in the
      XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties are
      themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
      object or the property summary entry.

      We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a section
      of the specification document to the actual section of the
      specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
      details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
      specification section number you click on the section number and it
      pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of that section.

      The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire web for
      that matter!).

      There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you can
      download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the "Books &
      free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
      below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked), jump to
      a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the specification
      section number.

      With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
      navigation you want your users to experience.

      As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each item
      into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
      break-after= properties.

      I hope this helps.

      . . . . . . . . . . Ken

      --
      Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
    • Gaywood, Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2006
        There is also the 'back' button that most pdf browsers offer of course.

        Remember, don't over engineer your solutions. I'm sure Ken and Nicola
        would agree that the extra hyperlinking, though useful, will take extra
        processing for your FO engine.

        Have you tried creating a bookmark, you simple add and extra bookmark
        for the TOC.

        Mark Gaywood

        I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT
        and
        XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case
        we
        put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked
        each
        individual character to that part of the index at the back of
        the
        book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and
        in the
        XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties
        are
        themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
        object or the property summary entry.

        We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a
        section
        of the specification document to the actual section of the
        specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
        details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
        specification section number you click on the section number and
        it
        pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of
        that section.

        The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire
        web for
        that matter!).

        There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you
        can
        download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the
        "Books &
        free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
        below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked),
        jump to
        a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the
        specification
        section number.

        With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
        navigation you want your users to experience.

        As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each
        item
        into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
        break-after= properties.

        I hope this helps.

        . . . . . . . . . . Ken

        At 2006-01-09 15:03 +0000, Nicola Harlow wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >In our documentation we provide a simple link in the header
        back to the
        >TOC.
        >
        >So just create a ref at the TOC, then link back.
        >
        >The object for the link we use is actually our company logo,
        which I
        >admit is a bit hidden. But this can be explained if you have
        'how to use
        >this document' help, or you could add a simple logo/text that
        provides
        >the link. Saves all that scrolling, and it's subtle...
        >
        >If you click on the footer you go to the index... ;)
        >
        >Nicola

        World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL
        training.
        G. Ken Holman
        mailto:gkholman@...
        Crane Softwrights Ltd.
        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
        Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999
        (F:-0995)
        Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05
        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
        Legal business disclaimers:
        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal

        Xml xsl
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
        &w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=XF6UjxdQ2tCRItr3yU3rRA> Xsl
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
        Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=Td1defu0WlhAUIEcVSI4yA> Xsl fo
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
        w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=D7s9Xny4J1UpRWKa9DJfcg>
        Xsl tutorial
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
        sl+fo&w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=qM2uqUGLVwdKOUqd0tgXgw>

        Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying of , or any action taken in reliance upon, it is strictly prohibited and may be illegal.