RE: [XSL-FO] Navigation on XSL-FO

  • Nicola Harlow
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006

      In our documentation we provide a simple link in the header back to the
      TOC.

      So just create a ref at the TOC, then link back.

      The object for the link we use is actually our company logo, which I
      admit is a bit hidden. But this can be explained if you have 'how to use
      this document' help, or you could add a simple logo/text that provides
      the link. Saves all that scrolling, and it's subtle...

      If you click on the footer you go to the index... ;)

      Nicola

      Nicola Harlow
      Technical Author
      Program Management Group plc
      tel: +44 (0) 1937 547 171
      direct: +44 (0) 1937 547 165
      fax: +44 (0) 1937 547 154
      mail: nicola.harlow@... <mailto:nicola.harlow@...>

      web: http://www.pm-group.com

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006
        I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT and
        XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case we
        put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked each
        individual character to that part of the index at the back of the
        book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and in the
        XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties are
        themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
        object or the property summary entry.

        We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a section
        of the specification document to the actual section of the
        specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
        details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
        specification section number you click on the section number and it
        pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of that section.

        The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire web for
        that matter!).

        There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you can
        download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the "Books &
        free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
        below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked), jump to
        a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the specification
        section number.

        With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
        navigation you want your users to experience.

        As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each item
        into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
        break-after= properties.

        I hope this helps.

        . . . . . . . . . . Ken

        --
        Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
      • Gaywood, Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2006
          There is also the 'back' button that most pdf browsers offer of course.

          Remember, don't over engineer your solutions. I'm sure Ken and Nicola
          would agree that the extra hyperlinking, though useful, will take extra
          processing for your FO engine.

          Have you tried creating a bookmark, you simple add and extra bookmark
          for the TOC.

          Mark Gaywood

          I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT
          and
          XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case
          we
          put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked
          each
          individual character to that part of the index at the back of
          the
          book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and
          in the
          XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties
          are
          themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
          object or the property summary entry.

          We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a
          section
          of the specification document to the actual section of the
          specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
          details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
          specification section number you click on the section number and
          it
          pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of
          that section.

          The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire
          web for
          that matter!).

          There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you
          can
          download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the
          "Books &
          free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
          below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked),
          jump to
          a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the
          specification
          section number.

          With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
          navigation you want your users to experience.

          As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each
          item
          into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
          break-after= properties.

          I hope this helps.

          . . . . . . . . . . Ken

          At 2006-01-09 15:03 +0000, Nicola Harlow wrote:
          >Hi,
          >
          >In our documentation we provide a simple link in the header
          back to the
          >TOC.
          >
          >So just create a ref at the TOC, then link back.
          >
          >The object for the link we use is actually our company logo,
          which I
          >admit is a bit hidden. But this can be explained if you have
          'how to use
          >this document' help, or you could add a simple logo/text that
          provides
          >the link. Saves all that scrolling, and it's subtle...
          >
          >If you click on the footer you go to the index... ;)
          >
          >Nicola

          World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL
          training.
          G. Ken Holman
          mailto:gkholman@...
          Crane Softwrights Ltd.
          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
          Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999
          (F:-0995)
          Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05
          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
          Legal business disclaimers:
          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal

          Xml xsl
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
          &w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=XF6UjxdQ2tCRItr3yU3rRA> Xsl
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
          Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=Td1defu0WlhAUIEcVSI4yA> Xsl fo
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
          w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=D7s9Xny4J1UpRWKa9DJfcg>
          Xsl tutorial
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
          sl+fo&w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=qM2uqUGLVwdKOUqd0tgXgw>

          Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying of , or any action taken in reliance upon, it is strictly prohibited and may be illegal.