Navigation on XSL-FO

  • ajoke427
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006

      I am trying to include navigation in an XSL-fo file I created but I
      can't figure out how - I am pretty new to this. I have a table of
      contents and clicking on any of the items will bring up the selected
      item with more details- however, there is no way to get back to the TOC
      but to scroll all the way back up and this is very inconvenient. Does
      anyone know how to do this? Will appreciate any suggestions.

      Also is there a way to show only 1 item per page?

      Thanks,

      Awele
    • Nicola Harlow
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006

        In our documentation we provide a simple link in the header back to the
        TOC.

        So just create a ref at the TOC, then link back.

        The object for the link we use is actually our company logo, which I
        admit is a bit hidden. But this can be explained if you have 'how to use
        this document' help, or you could add a simple logo/text that provides
        the link. Saves all that scrolling, and it's subtle...

        If you click on the footer you go to the index... ;)

        Nicola

        Nicola Harlow
        Technical Author
        Program Management Group plc
        tel: +44 (0) 1937 547 171
        direct: +44 (0) 1937 547 165
        fax: +44 (0) 1937 547 154
        mail: nicola.harlow@... <mailto:nicola.harlow@...>

        web: http://www.pm-group.com

        ________________________________

        I am trying to include navigation in an XSL-fo file I created but I
        can't figure out how - I am pretty new to this. I have a table of
        contents and clicking on any of the items will bring up the selected
        item with more details- however, there is no way to get back to the TOC
        but to scroll all the way back up and this is very inconvenient. Does
        anyone know how to do this? Will appreciate any suggestions.

        Also is there a way to show only 1 item per page?

        Thanks,

        Awele

        Xml xsl
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
        &w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=XF6UjxdQ2tCRItr3yU3rRA>

        Xsl
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
        Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=Td1defu0WlhAUIEcVSI4yA>

        Xsl fo
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
        w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=D7s9Xny4J1UpRWKa9DJfcg>

        Xsl tutorial
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
        sl+fo&w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=qM2uqUGLVwdKOUqd0tgXgw>

        " on the web.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006
          I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT and
          XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case we
          put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked each
          individual character to that part of the index at the back of the
          book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and in the
          XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties are
          themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
          object or the property summary entry.

          We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a section
          of the specification document to the actual section of the
          specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
          details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
          specification section number you click on the section number and it
          pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of that section.

          The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire web for
          that matter!).

          There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you can
          download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the "Books &
          free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
          below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked), jump to
          a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the specification
          section number.

          With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
          navigation you want your users to experience.

          As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each item
          into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
          break-after= properties.

          I hope this helps.

          . . . . . . . . . . Ken

          --
          Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
        • Gaywood, Mark
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2006
            There is also the 'back' button that most pdf browsers offer of course.

            Remember, don't over engineer your solutions. I'm sure Ken and Nicola
            would agree that the extra hyperlinking, though useful, will take extra
            processing for your FO engine.

            Have you tried creating a bookmark, you simple add and extra bookmark
            for the TOC.

            Mark Gaywood

            I see Nicola did something similar to what we did in our XSLT
            and
            XSL-FO PDF books that we sell off our web site, but in our case
            we
            put the 26 letters of the alphabet in the footer and hyperlinked
            each
            individual character to that part of the index at the back of
            the
            book. Every page number is also hyperlinked to that page, and
            in the
            XSL-FO book most references to formatting objects and properties
            are
            themselves hyperlinks to the summary page about that formatting
            object or the property summary entry.

            We also created external hyperlinks of every reference to a
            section
            of the specification document to the actual section of the
            specification document on the web ... thus, when you want more
            details about a formatting object or a property and you see the
            specification section number you click on the section number and
            it
            pops up a web window and jumps you directly to the beginning of
            that section.

            The PDF becomes an index into the web document (or the entire
            web for
            that matter!).

            There are freely downloadable excerpts of both books that you
            can
            download and see what we did with hyperlinks ... go to the
            "Books &
            free excerpts" link from our home page linked in our trailer
            below. Jump to the last page (the title page isn't linked),
            jump to
            a letter, check out a property value, then jump to the
            specification
            section number.

            With <fo:basic-link> you just need to imagine what kinds of
            navigation you want your users to experience.

            As for showing only one item per page, you could either put each
            item
            into its own page sequence, or you could use break-before= or
            break-after= properties.

            I hope this helps.

            . . . . . . . . . . Ken

            At 2006-01-09 15:03 +0000, Nicola Harlow wrote:
            >Hi,
            >
            >In our documentation we provide a simple link in the header
            back to the
            >TOC.
            >
            >So just create a ref at the TOC, then link back.
            >
            >The object for the link we use is actually our company logo,
            which I
            >admit is a bit hidden. But this can be explained if you have
            'how to use
            >this document' help, or you could add a simple logo/text that
            provides
            >the link. Saves all that scrolling, and it's subtle...
            >
            >If you click on the footer you go to the index... ;)
            >
            >Nicola

            World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL
            training.
            G. Ken Holman
            mailto:gkholman@...
            Crane Softwrights Ltd.
            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
            Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999
            (F:-0995)
            Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05
            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
            Legal business disclaimers:
            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal

            Xml xsl
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo
            &w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=XF6UjxdQ2tCRItr3yU3rRA> Xsl
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&w4=
            Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=Td1defu0WlhAUIEcVSI4yA> Xsl fo
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+fo&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=Xsl+fo&
            w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=D7s9Xny4J1UpRWKa9DJfcg>
            Xsl tutorial
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xsl+tutorial&w1=Xml+xsl&w2=Xsl&w3=X
            sl+fo&w4=Xsl+tutorial&c=4&s=52&.sig=qM2uqUGLVwdKOUqd0tgXgw>

            Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying of , or any action taken in reliance upon, it is strictly prohibited and may be illegal.